Apple Care poised to fix supervision issue in iOS 7

mscheid13's picture

mscheid13

No votes yet

I Received this Communication from our Apple rep. I am really glad we have not updated to iOS 7 at our school and would need to provide serial numbers and proof of purchase. I have emailed support and I am waiting on directions. It looks like we will be able to push a profile that will prevent find my iPad activation lock settings in the background (speculation). Once the iOS 7 update is available we can remove our block and upgrade to iOS 7.

Dear Mike,

Recently some users have reported that their supervised iOS devices have reverted to un-supervised after they were upgraded to iOS 7. We are aware of this issue and will have a fix in an iOS software update coming this month.

If you upgraded your devices to iOS 7, we can help you re-supervise devices wirelessly once the software update is available. If your devices are still on iOS 6, we can help you prep your devices in order to maintain supervision when the software update is installed. Please see below for details. AppleCare is ready to help you with implementing whichever solution works for you.

Devices on iOS 7

For devices that were upgraded to iOS 7, we can create a profile to re-supervise your devices. In order to create this profile, we need two things from you — your device serial numbers and valid proof-of-purchase information. When you contact AppleCare, we will provide details on how to send us this information. AppleCare will also let you know when you will receive the profile and provide deployment instructions.

Devices on iOS 6

If you have devices that haven’t been upgraded to iOS 7, we will give you the ability to generate a profile to install before upgrading. Then your devices will be able to upgrade to the upcoming release of iOS as supervised devices.

Please email supervised_devices_support@services.apple.com to obtain more information from AppleCare.

Thank you,

D.Ray's picture

D.Ray

Do you know if this is an issue with non-upgraded Supervised's?

Your rating: None

Currently, all of our devices are iOS 6.13, unsupervised. I'm leaning towards upgrading the devices to iOS 7, then supervising, then re-enrolling in MDM then re-deploying.

Do you think this bug will bite us in this configuration?

mscheid13's picture

mscheid13

It's possible to still get bit!

I have had a few devices that I was re-purposing, wiping and reconfiguring. About 1 in 4 times when I would prepare the device in Apple Configurator I would have the "unsupervised" issue. I would have to start over and eventually the supervision would "stick". I would guess that if you wait for the update to iOS 7 that has the fix mentioned here you would be fine. Either way I would wait until the dust settles a bit more!

Good luck to you!

mscheid13's picture

mscheid13

Update from apple care:

I received this update from apple care today:

Hello,

After working with Engineering to isolate the issue, we expect a software release will address or alleviate the issue reported in this case. We are keeping this case active pending the result of your testing when software is available.

We will update you when additional information is available. During this time the case will be set to Wait: Software Release Pending. If you have an update to report at your site, please reply to this mail.

We appreciate your assistance and patience in this matter.

Sincerely,
AppleCare Enterprise Technical Support

jowa@dtu.dk's picture

jowa@dtu.dk

Future enrollment

Very interesting tread - please do keep us posted.

- and yes, I'm new to this site: working at the Technical University of Denmark - a departement called Compute.
Daily working as Systems Administrator, primarilly with Windows - and Mac (all included :- )

Jørgen Wassmann
Systems Administrator, Windows & Mac, BSc.
DTU Compute
Technical University of Denmark
Department of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science

OmegaApex's picture

OmegaApex

My 2cents

If you notice though even though the supervision profile is missing it still seems to work. We push the global proxy to our devices and that is still applied and works eventhough the supervision profile is missing.

If you plug it into a computer it will still say it is supervisied.