Apple Configurator 2

Jay991's picture

Jay991

No votes yet

Hi All,

I have few questions regarding Apple Configurator 2.0.

Can we pre-enroll devices to the MDM like AirWatch and MobileIron with a staging users and then use of a 'sign in' method where the end user will take ownership of the device and get their personalized content?

Configurator 2 allows you to save all of your Configuration Profiles in iCloud Drive for easy synchronization between multiple Configurator stations. Does this mean we have to use same apple id if we are using multiple stations to configure the devices?

Regards,
Jay

jbourdon's picture

jbourdon

IIRC, you can keep those

Your rating: None

IIRC, you can keep those files anywhere now—so a shared folder would also suffice, but my memory could be wrong. Pretty sure they talk about it in this video from WWDC:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2015/?id=301

Jay991's picture

Jay991

Apple Configurator 2

Thank you for an update. @jbourdon

sbarnham's picture

sbarnham

Configurator 2 ipsw files location

Your rating: None (1 vote)

Has anyone found where Configurator 2 stores the iOS files (.ipsw) ?

Does not seem to be the same place as Configurator 1.x

peter.kent's picture

peter.kent

Configurator 2 IPSW file locations

I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja1JRC9dePY and confirmed that it worked.

For Configurator 2 the files are located at ~/Library/Group Containers/Group.com.apple.configurator/­Library/Caches/Firmware

To navigate there -
Open Finder
Click on Go menu and press the Alt key to bring up the hidden library folder
Then navigate to where the firmware folder is located for Apple
Configurator 2.
~/Library/Group Containers/Group.com.apple.configurator/­Library/Caches/Firmware
You may see a number before the group.com folder

dianawilliams's picture

Good

Good Information. Thanks for sharing. Keep it up

macxcool's picture

macxcool

Configurator 2 Backups location

I was able to Backup an iPad with Configurator 1 and then transfer that backup to another Configurator instance. Where does Configurator 2 place its Backups?

macxcool's picture

macxcool

Configurator 2 Apps pre-download

With Conf. 1 I was able to redeem a single code and have iTunes download the App (or download free Apps directly). Is there a way to pre-download and/or cache Apps for assignment to various devices/blueprints?

macxcool's picture

macxcool

Configurator 2 Device Info. Export

In Configurator 1 I could export info. on all the devices in the database. It looks like I can only do this in Configurator 2 with devices that are currently plugged in. Is there another way of accessing this functionality without plugging in devices?

macxcool's picture

macxcool

Code in the Firmware Path

The code found in the Firmware path is consistent across different instances of Configurator. The full path is:
~/Library/Group Containers/K36BKF7T3D.group.com.apple.configurator/Library/Caches/Firmware
If you pre-download the ipsw files (like from the links posted on OSXDaily) and place them in here, you're good to go.
There doesn't seem to be a way to assign Custom Firmwares as in Configurator 1, but you can drag and drop a single Firmware onto a single iPad. That seems to work.