Apple Configurator Mass Enrollment In Airwatch

inferno's picture

inferno

No votes yet

Currently conducting a large deployment of iPads utilizing Apple Configurator. Airwatch allows you to download a profile for enrolling devices silently by selecting a 'default enrollment user' and enabling 'shared enrollment user'.

Does anyone know a way these can be linked to actual Airwatch user accounts after a mass enrollment with the default enrollment user. I assumed creating a batch uploads of accounts with the specific UDIDs and serial numbers would link the devices that match that criteria with a user account but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Otherwise, anyone know the pros/cons of enrolling all devices under one user account in Airwatch as the 'default enrollment user' does? I am having a hard time accepting the fact that I can manage devices from a device perspective rather than from a user account perspective.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Xalio's picture

Xalio

Shared mode only

Your rating: None

Hi,

I don't think Airwatch allows this type of association (maybe in the roadmap?). They only permit to login (Check-in/Check-out) with an other user after the initial enrollment with Shared mode.

If you want to match with device Serial number MobileIron does this.

Regards,

Nicolas

@nicolasraison
fr.linkedin.com/pub/nicolas-raison/45/431/522/
ChelseaAirWatch's picture

ChelseaAirWatch

Hi there, The preferred

Hi there,

The preferred method to handle mass enrollment using Apple Configurator with AirWatch is to set it up from a single user standpoint. Configurator was designed to simplify mass enrollment by allowing bulk enrollment under one user. You could do individual user profiles, but this would be much less effective. This single user is normally set up at a specific parent organization group level and the device is set up as a shared device using the “checkin/checkout” functionality. The users will then check out the device using their user credentials and the device will be moved to whatever lower organization group that the user specifies during checkout. At these other organization groups, you can set up all profiles and compliance policies there that the user and device will assume when they are checked out. If you maintain this deployment with one user, you will not be able to have individual profiles for email or any user related data that utilizes look up values as these draw from the user account.

Feel free to email me with any additional questions.
Thanks,
Chelsea at AirWatch
chelseacurtis@air-watch.com

Techspert2000's picture

Techspert2000

^

Xalio wrote:

Hi,

I don't think Airwatch allows this type of association (maybe in the roadmap?). They only permit to login (Check-in/Check-out) with an other user after the initial enrollment with Shared mode.

If you want to match with device Serial number MobileIron does this.

Regards,

Nicolas

I also believe this is true. It got to a point that I got fed up and trial over. There are a few other smaller companies that are doing things close to this.

thomrburg's picture

thomrburg

It's certainly possible...

MobileIron accomplishes this by adding the device SN to your Bulk Import data. When the device is enrolled via AC, MobileIron pairs the pre-enrollment record at that time. I had to work on Product Management for a while to get this added, so I'd suggest hounding AirWatch's PM as well...at least start with your account team.

-T

--
Thomas Burgess
@thomrburg | www.thomrburg.tk