Can Enterprise App Read its MDM Configuration file

bishal_lf's picture

bishal_lf

Your rating: None (2 votes)

I have the following situation -

There is a school which distribute number of iPads to students, which deploy in-house app for student.
Basically the app will display the PDFs, Images and Videos form remote server.

Now the challenge is that, Class 1 student needs to fetch PDfs, Images and Videos form one link
where as Class 2 student needs to fetch PDfs, Images and Videos form another link.

Hence the app need to know which device group, the current device is enrolled into.
And the device Groups info is set via MDM server.

So the question is - is there anyways enterprise app can get information from MDM server about the device group it is enrolled in, so that it can change its app feature as per device group ?

Thanks.

Aaron Freimark's picture

Aaron Freimark

Managed Configurations

Your rating: None

Hello Bishal. I'd say the way to solve this problem is with Managed Configurations. Most MDM servers can push app-specific keys and values to devices. And you should be able to set these up to be different for each group. What MDM are you using?

--
Aaron Freimark, Enterprise iOS founder & GroundControl CEO

bishal_lf's picture

bishal_lf

Thanks for your prompt answer

Thanks for your prompt answer

I was thinking about using Apple OS-X Server itself.
But reading thought this site it looks like there are many better alternative as well.

Here is one sample code from apple on
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/samplecode/sc2279/Introduction/I...
Managed App Configuration
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/samplecode/sc2279/Introduction/Intro.html

greghacke's picture

greghacke

Bishal, While I agree there

Bishal,
While I agree there are other methods to executing these, the best position is the application configuration profile.

First, it allows independence from a specific MDM - allowing the app to be used on as many as support the managed app configuration settings. You could even post the profile on a website for download without even having an MDM in play.

Second, since most MDMs can populate these configuration profiles with data from the MDM itself you reduce overhead. Example - if you need the email address populated into your configuration, you could use the MDM wildcard such as $EMAIL$.

Finally, you can configure the profiles to enforce certain application features. Example - if you had a mobile workforce management application you were deploying but wanted to block specific actions (like management, diagnostics, etc.) you could program this profile to allow/deny access based on settings in the profile itself. As the profile can be delivered encrypted, the end user can't change these settings.

My two cents...

Greg Hacke
Senior Consulting Engineer