Cannot Complete iPhone Setup

sosullivan60's picture

sosullivan60

Your rating: None (2 votes)

I came across this issue when I got an iphone returned to me from a terminated employee.

I wanted to reset the iphone back to factory settings. When it came to the Apple ID section in the setup, it did not give me the option to bypass entering the Apple ID, but instead required me to enter an Apple ID and password. I did not have the credentials, and couldn't get past this step. As a result I couldn't finish the setup of the iphone, and now it is just a brick, and unusable.

I want to know if there is an Enterprise solution that I can use so that I can avoid this happening in the future. In other words, I want to keep the employee from creating and setting up the iphone with their Apple ID. Can I lock this step in the setup, or is there another way to keep employees from setting up there own Apple Id on a company owned device.

Thanks for your help with this.

davidcolville's picture

davidcolville

Activation Lock..

Your rating: None

This feature is referred to as "Activation Lock"

On company owned devices up until iOS7.1 - the main way to stop this occurring was with "Supervised Mode". When you used Apple Configurator and supervised the device, it automatically disabled Activation Lock.

In iOS7.1, MDM vendors have the ability to also restrict a user from enabling Activation Lock over the air. Air-Watch for instance had a handy blog post about this the other day.

http://blogs.air-watch.com/2014/03/getting-know-new-enterprise-features-...

Note that the employee will still be able to use their Apple ID on the device - which is really important for features like the Managed Distribution program - just the Activation Lock feature will be disabled.

Apple also has a support article about Activation Lock which might help with more information:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13695

David Colville

Twitter: @davidc79

Eric B's picture

Eric B

Enterprise iPhone

Hi,
While you can work to stop users from using activation lock or putting their Apple ID on the device. I would recommend against it. If you want to prevent it I think the best option would be an MDM solution like Airwatch and the method mentioned by David.

Two Notes. Activation Lock is a very strong theft deterrent. And you can have activation lock turned off on a returned phone after working with apple. I dont have the page off hand but there is a method where you prove ownership of the device to apple and they can turn off the activation lock on the device.

As an overall solution, an MDM program such as Airwatch will allow the institution to manage and distribute apps as needed with the ability to recall them (using Managed distribution and the Apple VPP Program). MDM, VPP and Managed Distribution can provide you with a way to manage and adjust settings on a company owned device. As well as deploy apps to your users
Individuals that are able to use their own Apple ID on a devices will take better care of the devices and be able to use features like iCloud back. Which can restore their phone to a new one if they happen to drop it or throw it in a lake for some reason.

Johan Gunverth's picture

Johan Gunverth

An updated MDM should be able

An updated MDM should be able to inject a backdoor key for this. Apples Profile Manager handles this gracefully. You allow the user to use Activation Lock and concurrently get the fallback key which can be used instead of the users AppleID to activate a wiped device. The key is created automatically when the device has checked in the MDM. The key is also checked in at Apple. It looks like this in Profile Manager.

PM Activation Lock

If you disallow Activation Lock for the user, you're not able to use the "backdoor".

Johan Gunverth's picture

Johan Gunverth

An updated MDM should be able

Duplicate.