Can't set <<class uien>> of application to true

• strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_field_user_name::init() should be compatible with views_handler_field_user::init(&$view, $data) in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/views/modules/user/views_handler_field_user_name.inc on line 61.
danjns's picture

danjns

No votes yet

when I try to open the app i get this message

Can't set <> of application to true

Any ideas?

Eight_Quarter_Bit's picture

Eight_Quarter_Bit

Hm. Does this happen

Your rating: None (1 vote)

Hm. Does this happen immediately after launch? What version of OS X are you attempting to run AIDAB on when you get this message?

danjns's picture

danjns

Mavericks GM (2)

Your rating: None

Yeah immediately, I'm using Mavericks GM (2)

vdrdad's picture

vdrdad

Mavericks 10.9

Your rating: None

Getting this Same Error "Can't set <> of application to true."
Immediately after launching

Sam Aguilar

Eight_Quarter_Bit's picture

Eight_Quarter_Bit

Mavericks Compatibility

Your rating: None (1 vote)

This is an issue relating to Mavericks' changes to how access for Assistive Devices (UI scripting) is enabled. In OS X versions before Mavericks, UI scripting was enabled or disabled system-wide. In Mavericks, UI scripting is enabled on a per-application basis. Unfortunately, AIDAB tries to be helpful and enable this option for you, which worked great in versions before Mavericks, but Apple didn't depreciate the Applescript command for enabling system-wide assistive devices very gracefully and it now throws an ugly error (because the option for enabling system-wide access to assistive devices simply doesn't exist in 10.9.)

The fix for the error is quite simple (wrapping the command in a "try" statement), but the changes to the way scripts are allowed to interact with UI elements goes much deeper. While AIDAB can gain approval on the system for access to UI elements (thus allowing you to build a process,) and the constructed process itself can also gain approval, the nested scripts that actually perform your constructed actions don't gain approval. The system never asks you to enable approval for these scripts, and likely *cannot* grant them permission (because the constructed action scripts don't actually have their own file path, they are stored in a property inside the constructed process.)

This is a very deep breakage of AIDAB's methodology. The entire concept for crafting your own process relies on nested Applescripts stored in a list, and currently it is not possible (as far as my current research and experimentation shows anyway) to give these scripts access to UI elements. The changes to assistive devices is not very well documented, and so I'm having to make some guesses based on behavior and experimentation, but currently the outlook is rather grim. There is a possibility that I could write AIDAB in such a way that it exports the constructed actions to actual script files and then runs each of those in turn, but this would be a non-trivial change to AIDAB itself and has other lingering issues.

So, unfortunately, AIDAB is fundamentally incompatible with Mavericks at this time. I have a new avenu I am exploring for mass Apple ID creation that should be compatible with Mavericks, but at the moment it is merely an idea. I believe it is a solid one, and should be one step above AIDAB itself, but none of it has been written or tested yet. If the idea does come to fruition, Enterprise iOS will be the first place it is announced and made available publicly.