Configurator constantly setting oncorrect time????

enbtechnology's picture

enbtechnology

Your rating: None (2 votes)

Hi All,

I have a roll out of around 300 devices that have all been supervised before. However many of them have starting to get issues with the time, they're about 8 hours ahead. All devices have time and time zone set to auto, they're all on iOS 8.3 or 8.4. There is a mixture of iPhone 6's and iPad Air 2's.

Plugging into configurator doesn't set the time automatically. The time settings on there are all set to auto as well and location services are enabled. The time on the Mac is shown correctly.

When the timezone on the devices are changed to manual, which flicks it over to Los Angeles by default, the time is then correct (I'm in England). When it is set back to auto (which shows London) it then jumps forward another 8 hours.

I'm really hoping that I have missed something obvious here, because I'm at an absolute loss as to what to do. I've tried everything from moving the time around on the mac, disabling enabling location services, reformatting the devices.

Please help!!

Many thanks in advance,

Edward

Aaron Freimark's picture

Aaron Freimark

Are you using Configurator to

Your rating: None

Are you using Configurator to restore a backup? Your backup may have the incorrect time in it. Fix that and your headaches may be gone.

--
Aaron Freimark, Enterprise iOS founder & GroundControl CEO

enbtechnology's picture

enbtechnology

Sadly not, I've actually just

Sadly not, I've actually just started using a backup with the correct time as a workaround to the problem though. It's strange as when the devices refresh in configurator one of the tasks it shows in the list is "Updating time", it just doesn't work at all on some of the devices.

It's okay at the moment, as restoring the backup is working. I am anxious to find out the cause though as I don't want the problem to come back when the devices are out in the field, especially as the only fix I know is to restore the backup which would be quite impractical.

swkim's picture

swkim

Does iOS device have access to time server?

Do the iOS devices have network access to the time server? Location services can enhance geolocation, but unless the iOS device can speak with a time server, it may not be able to update the time iOS device. I noticed on our iPads their flaw is their internal clock is faster and causes issues with time sensitive transaction (validation where future dated transactions are not allowed).

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=11772