Devices can't be enrolled in DEP, what's my best course of action?

janeitzey's picture

janeitzey

Your rating: None (2 votes)

A department bought iPads outside of our registered Apple Education purchase account and now they can't be enrolled in DEP.

If I can't manage the iTunes account for this shared-use lab, what's my best course of action.

On another note, Apple Configurator 1.6 is dead slow updating new iPads to 8.0.2 even though the ipsw file is downloaded. It's taking over an hour. Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

jesselvella's picture

jesselvella

Hope we can help

Your rating: None

When you say you can't manage the iTunes account does that mean you can't control who logs into the App Store on the iPad? Just wondering so perhaps we can help you out there.

Sometimes it depends on what version the iPads are on before starting the update since I believe it downloads the update based on that. So say your iPads are on iOS 6 and updating to 8.0.2 then it would need the 7.0 etc... updates so it would take forever to download. Sometimes when I update them they do take a very long time but they finish eventually. Does it error out or just a long time?

Thanks!

loadedthorn's picture

loadedthorn

The difference DEP makes for

The difference DEP makes for you is the ability to supervise devices over the air, and link them to your MDM server at setup. You will still be able to supervise these devices in Configurator. We do need more information regarding your comment on not being able to manage the iTunes account. Configurator requires that you sign in with a redemption AppleID to install apps via Configurator to the devices. If you don't have that password, you can still supervise and install configuration profiles, but not applications. Your best course of action is to ensure that the administrator of these accounts is prepared to give you the necessary access to the tools he or she expects you to use.

Also, Configurator downloads the latest signed update for the particular device. It does not install incremental updates like Microsoft Office does. If you have an iPad running iOS 6, it will update directly to 8.1 (as of today). Not all devices are created equal (there's 2 iPad 2s for example) and so you may be downloading different builds of iOS 8 depending on the devices connected.

janeitzey's picture

janeitzey

We are in the process now of

We are in the process now of adding more customer numbers (that I got from the purchase invoice) to our DEP and hopefully we'll be able to enroll these devices as our own; you can extend your company DEP if you can add the purchasing customer numbers.

It was explained to me that the difference between DEP and Configurator is basically needing iTunes accounts for each device (DEP) vs not needing them (AC with supervision on). We can centrally manage devices over DEP but need AC machines in order to refresh apps.

I was also pointed in the direction of the Apple ID for Students program inside of DEP that will let us upload a spreadsheet of accounts we have to verify and add security questions to online. It's sort of like the AppleScript, but a little more official and stable. I'm not having any luck with + modifiers in Gmail accounts, so I'm still trying to figure out a way to register lots of Apple IDs with one email account.

janeitzey's picture

janeitzey

I was able to get the Apple

I was able to get the Apple DEP ID for Students to work. They mislabeled their template, in my opinion.

I was able to create 30 IDs with a parent address using the same gmail account and then each Apple ID is a email+devicename@gmail.com.

Now to verify them all.

daybreaker01's picture

daybreaker01

Apple ID for Students vs the ID creating script

We have been using this script for almost two months with good success. Unfortunately Apple's changes to iTunes once again broke the script. I fail to see why they can't just leave something alone for more than two weeks at a time.

When the script works, it is definitely superior to the Student ID creator in Apple. The primary reason for this is the ability to create the complete account with a password in one step. Using the Apple method, you can create the accounts but then have to go into the parent emails to configure the passwords etc. It makes it a lot more cumbersome with extra steps. However, the Student ID process was created for the 1 to 1 iPad configurations so I guess you have to deal with the extra garbage if you are trying to make it work in ways it was not intended.

We are trying to remedy the latest script failure so we can avoid having to go through the Student ID configuration process. Hopefully we will come up with something quickly. I am hoping to see some other input here as well.

janeitzey's picture

janeitzey

I'd rather get a couple of

I'd rather get a couple of people to run verification emails every so often than have to worry about updates to iTunes (which i completely forgot about needing on Yosemite) and keeping a whitelisted IP address with Apple.

I'm happy to check back here for updated scripts, but I'm not going to be stuck when it breaks.

Thanks for anyone who gets this to work when updates happen. I was happy to get it working with Mavericks and 11.1.4 iTunes, but my skills with AppleScript are pretty lacking.

JimSiegl's picture

JimSiegl

Apple ID 4 students is separate from DEP enrollment

This may have been mentioned elsewhere but while DEP and Apple ID4 students are access from the same portal and with the same account they are not dependent on each other