Exchange Passwords after iOS 5.0.1 Update

• strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • user warning: Table './enterpri17_eios/watchdog' is marked as crashed and should be repaired query: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, variables, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, 'shorten', '%method failed to return an abbreviated URL from %service.', 'a:2:{s:7:\"%method\";s:4:\"CURL\";s:8:\"%service\";s:6:\"bit.ly\";}', 5, 'DNS_CONFIGURATION_ERROR', 'http://enterpriseios.com/forum/topic/Exchange_Passwords_after_iOS_501_Update', '', '75.101.211.110', 1643283694) in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/modules/dblog/dblog.module on line 146.
  • strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_field_user_name::init() should be compatible with views_handler_field_user::init(&$view, $data) in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/views/modules/user/views_handler_field_user_name.inc on line 61.
icanseeclearlynow's picture

icanseeclearlynow

No votes yet

Interesting observation yesterday. I have upgraded to 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4S and iPad 2. I had a user in Sweden (his iPhone is current as well) inform me that he changed his active directory password but forgot to update it in his mail settings on his iPhone. To his surprise, three hours later his account had not been locked out. Intrigued, I performed a test where I changed my active directory password then shut off my computer and iPad, leaving only my iPhone connected to company email (WiFi turned off). My experience on my iPhone was the same, except for on my iPad (WiFi only) where when I connected to company wireless I was immediately asked to update my exchange password.

How would Apple be able to pull something like this off? There would have to be a certificate and a CA server involved correct? We definitely do not have that set up in our environment? Has anybody had the same experience (Exchange 2007 environment)?

TL;DNR: I changed my active directory password, did not change it in exchange settings on my iPhone, was not locked out. How!?!?

hanishi's picture

hanishi

comment

Your rating: None
icanseeclearlynow wrote:

Interesting observation yesterday. I have upgraded to 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4S and iPad 2. I had a user in Sweden (his iPhone is current as well) inform me that he changed his active directory password but forgot to update it in his mail settings on his iPhone. To his surprise, three hours later his account had not been locked out. Intrigued, I performed a test where I changed my active directory password then shut off my computer and iPad, leaving only my iPhone connected to company email (WiFi turned off). My experience on my iPhone was the same, except for on my iPad (WiFi only) where when I connected to company wireless I was immediately asked to update my exchange password.

How would Apple be able to pull something like this off? There would have to be a certificate and a CA server involved correct? We definitely do not have that set up in our environment? Has anybody had the same experience (Exchange 2007 environment)?

TL;DNR: I changed my active directory password, did not change it in exchange settings on my iPhone, was not locked out. How!?!?

No CA server needed. If the upgrade to the 5.0.1 iOS has removed the existing Provisioning settings, Exchange Server which the device connects to will force the device request for the security policy settings and my guess is that your provisioning settings has password policies enabled. It is probably the reason that it has asked to update the password.
When using MS Exchange the security policy is fetched by the device to enforce it on itself.

icanseeclearlynow

Follow Up

After about 5 days it did prompt me to update my password. Never got locked out once!

hanishi's picture

hanishi

You wont unless you reenter

You wont unless you reenter new password. That's how it works.
It is originally designed for MS Exchange, so if you don't retype a new password, the device will never establish connection with the designated server(MS Exchange)

icanseeclearlynow

I think you need to read the

I think you need to read the whole thread? I was receiving mail for 5 days without issue after changing my AD password but not updating that password on the mobile device.

hanishi's picture

hanishi

I really cannot tell what

I really cannot tell what you've done with your iOS device and which policy you have selected to enforce on your device.
So would you explain the details? And please be advised that this is still an experimental project.

hanishi's picture

hanishi

My mistake, I thought it was

My mistake, I thought it was for the other thread I started.
Sorry, pls remove the comments if you can.

icanseeclearlynow

No problem. I appreciated

No problem. I appreciated any input. I'm about to have to change my password again and I am eager to see if the same thing happens.

sami.west@bitsabound.com's picture

sami.west@bitsabound.com

iCorpPass app to change password and get reminders.

Hi,

There is an app called iCorpPass for iOS users to receive email reminders as well as change password directly from their devices. Check out for more information at -

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/windows-domain-password-change/id54521715...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icorppasslite-windows-domain/id560768544?...

Thanks
Sam