Favorite (inexpensive) USB hub for Configurator Deployment?

alexk's picture

alexk

Your rating: None (2 votes)

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Enterprise iOS, thank you for providing this very useful resource!

I was wondering if anyone has a favorite not-too-expensive USB hub for rolling out iPhones using Apple Configurator. I can't seem to find a USB hub for 5-10 devices with enough power to charge and sync, that's not prohibitively expensive.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Alex

benhuckle's picture

benhuckle

No used it myself but heard

Your rating: None

No used it myself but heard good things about the Satechi 12 Port USB hub. Probably be ok for iPhone charging but not iPads.

Ben Goulding-Huckle
Onefruit Charge & Sync Solutions
www.onefruit.co

pkerobinson's picture

pkerobinson

Satechi "sort of" works for iPads

I have about 30 of the Satechi hubs in primary classrooms with 1:1 iPads that are synced to teacher laptops. They work OK for syncing. They don't charge, and we've had some failures of the AC adapters if many iPads are connected for a long period. It seems there is no good charge and sync option for more than a couple of iPads at a time at less than several hundred dollars per unit. I would love to hear if anyone has a less expensive option.

Peter K. E. Robinson
Technology Director
Auburn School Department
60 Court Street
Auburn, ME 04210

peterr's picture

peterr

Cambrionix USB hub

Hello Alex.

I work for a company called Cambrionix in the UK and we design and manufacture USB charging units for multiple mobile devices, such as iPads, Android tablets, smartphones etc. We have a device that may be of interest to you.

Please use the following link and contact me if you require any further information:

http://www.cambrionix.com/cambrionix_products/powerpad15/

Kind regards

Peter Richardson
Sales Manager
Cambrionix Ltd.

benhuckle's picture

benhuckle

Quote: They don't charge, and

Quote:

They don't charge, and we've had some failures of the AC adapters if many iPads are connected for a long period.

That doesn't surprise me. The Satechi only supplies a total of 5V at 2 Amps which is only enough to fully power one iPad. As someone who's been through the process of building charging stations, it is not simple electronics to supply that amount of power to multiple iPads. Hence why these are not cheap units!

Ben Goulding-Huckle
www.onefruit.co

Aaron Freimark's picture

Aaron Freimark

It is worth noting that site

Your rating: None (2 votes)

It is worth noting that site sponsor (and my employer) Tekserve is a reseller for the Cambrionix hub in the U.S. I've had great experiences with their products.

--
Aaron Freimark, Enterprise iOS founder & GroundControl CEO

pkerobinson's picture

pkerobinson

I'm familiar with the power

I'm familiar with the power challenges associated with iPads. I would be very happy with a USB hub that would simply allow us to sync 10 or 12 iPads at once without attempting to charge them! That way at least it wouldn't burn its AC Adapter out over time.

Peter K. E. Robinson
Technology Director
Auburn School Department
60 Court Street
Auburn, ME 04210

Peter K. E. Robinson
Technology Director
Auburn School Department
60 Court Street
Auburn, ME 04210

jasonh's picture

jasonh

Another vote for Cambrionix

We've been impressed with the Cambrionix solution and the team behind it too. We don't resell this ourselves (outside of our scope), but we do share some joint customers in the, ahem, "more demanding sectors" who rave about it.

Jason Holloway | Bridgeway Security Solutions Ltd | +44 (0)1223 97 90 90

www.bridgeway.co.uk

alexk's picture

alexk

I think we're going to end up

I think we're going to end up going with the MacAlly Trihub. It's inexpensive and offers full power per port. I think if I get a few of them, I'll be set. The other options you guys have presented look great, they're just out of our price range. I'll let everyone know how it all works out!

Features:

4 Port Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Hub for Mac & PC
Features
Compact for mobile users
4 USB Ports
USB 2.0 (480 Mbps) USB 1.1 (12 Mbps)
1 Separated port to accept large size USB devices
DC jack for AC adapter (included)
Adhesive pads secure TriHub to desired surface
OWC NOTE: TriHub 4 Port offers full 500mA per USB port (the maximum per the USB spec).

Aaron Freimark's picture

Aaron Freimark

Note 500mA is enough for an

Note 500mA is enough for an iPhone or iPod touch. But to charge an iPad you'll need a beefier charger, such as the ones mentioned above.

(It is true that 2+ amps is beyond the USB spec.That won't hurt the device, as even Apple's iPad charger delivers 2 amps. It just means you can't send USB data while those 2 amps are there.)

--
Aaron Freimark, Enterprise iOS founder & GroundControl CEO

benhuckle's picture

benhuckle

500mA will charge

500mA will charge iPhones/iPod touch's but slower then normal chargers. The standard 5W iPhone chargers are 1A (1000mA) at 5V.

Ben Goulding-Huckle
www.onefruit.co

bevo_79's picture

bevo_79

Etekcity 10 port hub

I recently purchased 2 Etekcity 10 port hubs and love them. I can daisy chain them therefore only having to consume 1 USB port on my mac.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-charging-Switches-Indicators-Compat...

marcus.macbeth's picture

marcus.macbeth

Does the etekcity work?

bevo_79 wrote:

I recently purchased 2 Etekcity 10 port hubs and love them. I can daisy chain them therefore only having to consume 1 USB port on my mac.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-charging-Switches-Indicators-Compatible/dp/B00F3J9GLM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396470210&sr=8-2&keywords=Etekcity+10+port+hub

Hey bevo_79

Did the etekcity hub work? Does it provide enough power to each ipad to charge them? And can it work as a standalone charger ie not need to be connected to the computer to charge?

Thanks in advance

Samuelbrown's picture

Samuelbrown

Hubs...

We've been using these -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc®-Charging-Smartphones-Specially-Included/dp/B00MLVZCY0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413721238&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+hub+charge+and+data#productDetails

They actually work really well.

4 of these plugged into the back of a mac mini controlling and syncing 28 iPads.

Manage to sync data down to the devices at around 85mb/s.

Couldn't recommend it anymore.