Global HTTP Proxy how it works and how to manage it

ercole77's picture

ercole77

No votes yet

Hi guys
i have 50 iOS devices in my company managed with Airwatch MDM.
With iOS6 im trying to supervise them using Apple Configurator and then, alredy supervised, manage settings with MDM.

At the moment im doing few tests using supervision of Global HTTP proxy feature. It works fine but.............it forces http traffic through my internal proxy when im in 3g too......is there a way to use http proxy ONLY when connected to WIFI networks? (maybe specific SSID)?

My goal is to use Mail app internal to my company with proxy server, at the moment mail is not proxy aware so its a problem!!! Any workaround?

many thanks in advance for your reply!!!

davymcaleer's picture

davymcaleer

Hi, don't use the Global

Your rating: None

Hi,
don't use the Global HTTP Proxy Feature - just set a Proxy as part of your WiFi Payload by setting the ProxyType to Manual and then defining the following:

ProxyServer - The proxy server's network address
ProxyServerPort - The proxy server's port
ProxyUsername (Optional) The username used to authenticate to the proxy server
ProxyPassword (Optional) The password used to authenticate to the proxy server
ProxyPACURL (Optional) The URL of the PAC file that defines the proxy configuration

richb's picture

richb

Global Proxy is the only way for K-12

We have to use a Global Proxy to ensure all connections go through our web filter or else the devices are not allowed to leave the school. With only a WiFi proxy the student could connect to any other WiFi and have full Internet which would be a violation from state law requiring all students be filtered all the time.

ipadmike's picture

ipadmike

Global Proxy and k-12

Richb...

We are having issues with our filter and getting Global proxy to work. Who/ how are you using the global proxy and getting good results.

Thanks!!

ipadmike's picture

ipadmike

Help please

We are having issues with our filter and getting Global proxy to work. Who/ how are you using the global proxy and getting good results.

richb's picture

richb

Mixed Results

We are testing iBoss and can set the global proxy with credentials using either Configurator or Profile Manager on Supervised iPads but the iBoss never ends the session once logged in! There's no easy way to log out of iBoss and they want more money for us to use their MDM solution instead. Also, once the global proxy is set it appears to kill the Apple Push Notifications since Profile Manager looses the ability to communicate with the devices - not good. So far we have only tested on our Intranet assuming with a public facing DNS name it can be done inside or outside the district.

ipadmike's picture

ipadmike

Testing with Light Speed - Mixed as well.

We have LightSpeed filter and are testing with it. We found that the SSL inspection that LS was doing caused the APNs to fail. If we disabled that feature they make it through. We are working with their support to get it fixed. I will let you know if we find a solution. They are wanting us to go with their MDM as well but we already use JAMF as our MDM and you can use two!

Let me know if you find any solutions... I will update once we make progress with the LS filter.

suramsridhar's picture

suramsridhar

Have you enabled the ports on your Global proxy server?

Please checkout the below link.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4264

In order to recieve the APN's, Global proxy server should enable those port numbers.

Lukas's picture

Lukas

Proxy Server

Hi, I quick question if I may. What to do if I don't have proxy server in my network? If I leave these fields blank, than Apple Configurator cannot install my profile?

IOSfail's picture

IOSfail

we have Lighstpeed - Proxy service keeps crashing

We have about 14k ipads in our district with global proxy configuration using Lightspeed as the filter. The web filter part works great but the issue we have is the proxy service crashes every 3 hours which have to be restarted manually.

We have been working with their support for the past months but still have no permanent solution. Anyone out there experiencing the same issue with Lightspeed or another soulution?

I would like to say though that Lightspeed is a solid web filter solution with great customer service.

msjustu40's picture

I think you should consult a

I think you should consult a tech solution to implement the http proxy to work alone. I hope you will definitely find what you require to use for Mail app to work with the company proxy server. Try to read more articles that implement this concept so that you will have enough knowledge about it.
Windows 7 helpdesk