Help with Apple Configurator & Meraki Systems Manager

shopper150's picture

shopper150

No votes yet

I hope someone can help.

I am trying to deploy and manage iPhones. I've tested out using:
1) Firstly Apple Configurator. At this stage, I found it still asks for an iTunes sign in. Is there a way for silently building in this signin?

2) Meraki Systems Manager - this stage works fairly well. But when apps are pushed to the handsets, the handset again asks for iTunes username & password. Is it possible to ensure the handset does not ask for this?

Many thanks

jesselvella's picture

jesselvella

Apple Configurator and Meraki

Your rating: None

Shopper150,

If you use Apple's DEP (Device Enrollment Profile) you can actually supervise iPads without AC. Those iPads needs to have been purchased directly from Apple though so basically you need a business/educational account. They then go into the DEP portal and once they try to activate against Apple they will join your MDM.

As for the iTunes password; as far as I know AC will still ask for credentials since it needs to authenticate with Apple for pushing apps and settings. It always asks for an iTunes password. Make sure to have iTunes closed if you're using Apple Configurator. There should be an update soon with iOS 9 that doesn't require an iTunes account for the iPads to have apps deployed to them so that could fix your second question. I am pretty sure there is also a way to push apps silently via Meraki but you need to use Apple's VPP service.

That setup is detailed here: https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2014/04/be-a-ninja-systems-manager-silent-...

I hope that helps!

swkim's picture

swkim

Is VPP required even for free

Is VPP required even for free apps?

jesselvella's picture

jesselvella

VPP - Free Apps

I do believe that even though it's a free app you need to deploy it using both the MDM and VPP. So you "buy" the free App on the VPP and pull down the codes, even though it's free, to your MDM. I believe it uses that purchase to validate the app so it can be push silently. I don't know if you need to download it from the VPP if you want to push the app and have the user be prompted to install it with an Apple ID. I think the VPP is only required when you want to silently push the app so no user input is required.

ShaneW's picture

ShaneW

jesselvella is correct. You

jesselvella is correct. You purchase the codes for free apps to prevent the hassle of having to enter an appleID password for each installation. 8.3 then enabled the option of "not requiring a password for free apps" and then the latest from apple is now you can install apps without an appleID at all...which is fantastic news but I havent tested this one yet.