How To Handle A Gift of 50 iPads

jank50's picture

jank50

No votes yet

Just joined this group and I ask for your forbearance - I'm new to all this.

I work for an agency that serves people with developmental disabilities and we have about 55 locations in Westchester County, NY. Some generous peopel gave us a donation of 50 iPads and I'm trying to rationally deploy them! I'd like to be able to synch them remotley for iOS and app updates to avoid a lot of travel. The devices would be shared at the remote locations amongst several clients and the slection of apps would be limited to about 20 or so. Of course, since we're a non-proift, funds are limited, so whatever solutions are available, they must be affordable.

Thanks for your input.

Jordan

P.S. Any suggestions for iPad cases without covers that would be durable?

jesselvella's picture

jesselvella

A Few Ideas

Your rating: None

Jordan,

The first thing you may want is an MDM or Mobile Device Management solution. This will allow you to remotely manage the iPads. Meraki www.meraki.com offers a free MDM which in opinion is one of the best. You can push apps, deploy profiles to manage certain settings, and even use Meraki's System Manager app to essentially remotely locate iPads via a GPS type look up. Keep in mind that all sounds amazing but of course there are certain caveats with iOS devices but I am sure we can help with that. There are also things to think about such as Apple IDs to use and deployment methods as far as how much to lock the devices down. Check out Meraki and if you have questions please let us know.

Gumdrop is a pretty nice durable iPad case.

Thanks!
Jesse

jb's picture

jb

If your group can afford

If your group can afford them, Life proof cases are quite pretty and tough. I belive the Fre has a screen cover and the Nud does not, so it can't protect the glass. I don't know of a good and free MDM besides Meraki, and what you want to do requires MDM capabilities. There isn't really any remote sync, but you can install apps and place restrictions on the device.

Promobilent's picture

Promobilent

Apple Profile Manager

Have you looked into Apple Profile Manager? If the devices were procured directly from Apple (not from Verizon, ATT, Tmobile etc) you can use this "basic" MDM to perform your requirements. Of course you will need to set up OSX Server environment but in the end it maybe more cost effective then purchasing licenses for a specific MDM platform.

Also, if you're already operating within a Microsoft environment and use SCCM you could purchase MS Intune add-on licenses I believe at $4/User. Majority of the MDM providers all have trial licenses so maybe pilot a few and see which works best.

JimSiegl's picture

JimSiegl

Donations and Apple Device Enrollment

Your rating: None (1 vote)

I think the biggest thing to be aware of is (for schools that use MDM and Apple's DEP) is I think that you cannot enroll devices that were not purchased under your Institution's apple customer number in the device enrollment program, though you can still mange most of the settings in an MDM, just not the DEP settings

jank50's picture

jank50

A Gift of 50 iPads

Thanks to all of you who replied to my inquiry about how to manage a gift of 50 iPads at our non-profit. I have lots of leads and ideas to follow-up on. I'll keep you posted on our progress.

Once again, thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Jordan

Jordan

Ashlee Hilton's picture

Wow! Congratulations for

Your rating: None (1 vote)

Wow! Congratulations for winning those prizes. You deserved it for working hard and serving other people. Those who have overlooked an anniversary or birthday of a loved one know how hard it is to earn forgiveness. This year, compensate for all lost years by getting your loved one a great gift. Giving gift to someone makes him or her feel so special and loved.

RobDog's picture

RobDog

Charging Trolleys

Get charging trolleys, this will save you heaps of time and many headaches

We make cases, covers and accessories for schools and businesses
CustomLogoCases USA