How to get remote viewing/control of the IPAD screen via internet or preferably 3G?

kenneth's picture

kenneth

Your rating: None (7 votes)

Hi All,
Is there a software tool available on either MAC or PC to get remote viewing/control of the IPAD screen via internet or preferably 3G?
Best
Kenneth

George's picture

George

Theres nothing like that

Your rating: None (7 votes)

Hi Kenneth, I have been loking for this solution also, and have not got any luck, it seems that the way ios is built, there is no way for an app to take control of the device unless you Jailbreak it, witch I supose is not an option for enterprise devices...

Aaron Freimark's picture

Aaron Freimark

AirPlay?

Your rating: None (6 votes)

AirPlay allows mirroring to an Apple TV. There has been some work done to allow other devices to decode this signal too. I can imagine a product that translates this to a VNC protocol. This would allow remote viewing (though not control).

But I'm just dreaming here. It's been a long day....

--
Aaron Freimark, Enterprise iOS founder & Tekserve CTO

T. Reid Lewis's picture

T. Reid Lewis

What is the requirement for controlling the iPad from a desktop?

Your rating: None (14 votes)

Perhaps if you can tell us more about the requirement you're trying to meet, we can suggest viable solutions.

Given the strong desire of both Apple and customers to keep iOS secure, I believe its unlikely that any generic solution will be supported as its just too much of a security risk.

However, an App designed to solve a specific requirement, once launched on the iPad, could receive instructions from another computer to meet a functional requirement. For example, Podium Tiner is a "stop watch" solution with an iPhone App that acts as a remote control for an iPad App that displays the stopwatch information.

To help you visualize the power of this remote control, watch the demo of Podium Timer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_h35DulZx0

Download Podium Timer from iTunes here:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/podium-timer-hd/id390057166?mt=8

Note that I am not associated with the developer of this App.

kenneth's picture

kenneth

Thanks

Your rating: None (4 votes)

Thanks for all the reply.

For the requirement, one scenario is when a business person on the road with ipad and 3G connection, he want to share his ipad screen with colleagues in the office on PCs, to have meetings and to facilitate the discussion on things.

Another scenario is when the person with ipad have some problems in using it, the IT support person in the office can remotely access this device to check the setting and to show how to use the device or apps.

Best

Kenneth Li
www.macgeea.com

T. Reid Lewis's picture

T. Reid Lewis

Meetings "yes"; remote control "no"

Your rating: None (3 votes)

Kenneth,

For your meeting requirement, have you tried GoToMeeting, WebEx or similar? The iPad can participate but not share much.
GoToMeeting http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gotomeeting-v4.8/id424104128?mt=8
WebEx http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/webex-for-ipad/id364031971?mt=8

More sharing from the iPad will only happen if the "meeting App" adds capabilities to show something, ie, "present a PDF". You will not be able to "share a presentation from the Keynote App" or other App due the 'sandbox' security architecture.

For your general "remote support" requirement, that's where I think the security requirements will over ride your requirement. In short, its not going to happen. IMHO, the remote control capabilities you're used to on Windows and Macintosh will never be available on iOS.

I hope that helps.

Eight_Quarter_Bit's picture

Eight_Quarter_Bit

If you jailbreak the device

Your rating: None (2 votes)

If you jailbreak the device you are trying to control, yes. There is an app in Cydia called Veency that is a VNC server for iOS. You can then use Screen Sharing on the Mac, or one of the many free VNC clients (such as UltraVNC or TightVNC) on a Windows machine to view and control the target iOS device. You can even view/control the iOS device FROM another iOS device with a remote desktop app like Jump.

Obviously jailbreaking every device under your control is not a viable option, but for one-off situations Veency is a possibility. As for official App-Store apps, this sort of thing will not be available unless Apple significantly alters their restrictions on app sandboxing, which I find highly unlikely. There is a possibility that Apple may develop it's own iOS remote connection solution, but given the nature of iOS devices as very personal devices that aren't enterprise-focused, I find this a rather unlikely future.

MDM Advice's picture

MDM Advice

Yes it's possible

kenneth wrote:

Hi All,
Is there a software tool available on either MAC or PC to get remote viewing/control of the IPAD screen via internet or preferably 3G?
Best
Kenneth

Morning
Yes there is a solution that would work. One of the MDM providors has the ability to remote view an iOS device. Apple doesnt allow full remote control but they have allowed this. Currently this ability has to be installed into the host App for it to work. It's provided as a SDK file.

The Company is SOTI and software is MobiControl.

Aaron Freimark's picture

Aaron Freimark

Disclaimers?

"MDM Advice"', don't you think it would be fair to identify yourself as a SOTI employee? And being an employee, we'd love to see screenshots and a more technical description of how this unique technology operates. please post more.

--
Aaron Freimark, Enterprise iOS founder & Tekserve CTO

MDM Advice's picture

MDM Advice

Afternoon

Your rating: None (1 vote)

Hi Aaron
I am part of the SOTI Group.

The solution allows for a support desk user to Remote View a Screen, Explore files (Including Copy and Paste), 2 way text chat, Send messages (Information messages), Pull back information on the device including Model details, iOS version, Jailbreak status, Battery status as a few examples.

The solution also allows for GPS positioning, which when using the MobiControl console, links into Bing Maps to allow a live view of where the user is.

Here is a link to our SDK dedicated page:
http://www.soti.net/iOS_SDK/

Happy to describe anymore features where needed.

jasenk's picture

jasenk

There is a possibility that

Your rating: None

There is a possibility that Apple may develop it's own iOS remote connection solution, but given the nature of iOS devices as very personal devices that aren't enterprise-focused.

jafuller's picture

jafuller

Remote Viewing

There is an application called Bomgar that will allow you with the user's permission to view screen shots while connected to one another.

http://www.bomgar.com

This solution is a great tool that is cross platform capable. We have started using it internally for support of remote users.

--
James Fuller | Starbucks

--
James Fuller | Starbucks

miche01's picture

miche01

it seems that the way ios is

it seems that the way ios is built, there is no way for an app to take control of the device unless you Jailbreak it, witch I supose is not an option for enterprise devices

sime45's picture

sime45

However, an App designed to

However, an App designed to solve a specific requirement, once launched on the iPad, could receive instructions from another computer to meet a functional requirement.

coolaliasgar's picture

coolaliasgar

Try using gosupportnow remote

Try using gosupportnow remote support tool in order to have a view only remote desktop connection between MAC or PC and iPad.

George's picture

George

for remote viewing

I just found a useful tool that take advantage of airplayand mirrors your ios device screen on a PC, here is the link, I hope this helps you Glasses ...
https://www.reflectorapp.com/

warrenmatel's picture

warrenmatel

Teamviewer would be a perfect

Your rating: None (2 votes)

Teamviewer would be a perfect app you can use, it allows you to access view screens of other device or send files.

Want to know more about ipad related ideas? Just visit us at Keka tech.

msuding's picture

msuding

GoToAssist can view screenshots from iPhone/iPad

Disclaimer: I work on the GoToAssist team at Citrix.

Our GoToAssist product can capture screenshots from iPhone/iPad and share with the technician that's providing support.
http://www.gotoassist.com/remote_support/remote_mobile_support
I don't know if/when Apple will ever support live, moving screens or remote control. I am hoping that when a several Android devices have it and enough customers ask for it, they will allow it.

chrisross's picture

chrisross

Apperian does this. I saw a

Apperian does this. I saw a pretty impressive demo in October on this and they said it was coming in January of 2013. From my understanding the method they use is blessed by Apple.

Here is a demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=y18wL9fnZQ8

http://www.apperian.com

Wifilbeem47's picture

Wifilbeem47

I've been using TeamViewer to

I've been using TeamViewer to remotely view and control screens from various devices including iPad. I hope this article could help you out too:
http://increaserss.com/how-to-use-free-remote-access-to-any-mac-or-pc/

Ashleigh's picture

Ashleigh

So... My teachers need/want

So... My teachers need/want to do remote collaborations all the time... I have recently been pushing the app "Moxtra". It has a meeting feature where iPads (and I assume PCs) can talk AND can all edit a "notebook" together at the same time. Moxtra integrates nicely with Dropbox and so this seems to meet their needs. By the way- I have no affiliation with the company... Even though I know this looks fishy because it is my first post! Go try it... You'll feel the need to become 'unanonymous' to sing its praises too. Smile and I think the op might find this is just what type of collaboration his business person was really wanting!

jbrock's picture

jbrock

Remote control an iPad, no. Remote control an app, yes.

Your rating: None (4 votes)

Thanks for the mention, James.

I thought I'd submit an answer on behalf of Bomgar. Right now, Bomgar cannot let you remote control an iPad or other iOS device. But no other vendor can either. Full remote control of iPad, iPhone or iPod touch is in violation of Apple terms and conditions.

However, we did recently release a feature - Embedded Remote App Support - that gets very close to enabling remote control.

Embedded Remote App Support is a a software development kit (SDK) that can be included in Apple iOS (or Android apps). It lets support reps see and troubleshoot the app in real time. Here are some of the capabilities:

• Remote viewing of your own app
  • Custom special actions that control aspects of the app and automate troubleshooting
  • Custom system info specific to your app
  • Compressed file transfer to and from your app
  • Chat support with canned messages

There's a video demonstration on that page that may interest y'all.

Justin Brock
What is Bomgar?

johnclick's picture

johnclick

Remote Support

Yes, there is. Try out on premise RHUB remote support appliances. It allows you to join remote support sessions from your iPads or iPhones. Browser is required.

Joshua Elvey's picture

Joshua Elvey

Hi Justin, Does this allow

Hi Justin,

Does this allow for closing and reloading of the APP?

jbrock's picture

jbrock

Remote Control of iPad App

Does this allow for closing and reloading of the APP?

Joshua, much of the functionality will depend on the original APP. Developers can include our SDK in their APP, then use it to call whatever hooks are available to work with.

As far as closing the APP goes, I'm pretty sure that could be done. However, opening the APP might be a different story. It seems most remote support sessions involving an iPhone, iPad or Android device would need to be user-initiated.

Do you have a scenario in which remote opening of an APP would be necessary?

Justin Brock
What is Bomgar?

jason spark's picture

jason spark

Would be cool if someone

Would be cool if someone could make a specific app for remote use.
Spark,
www.spectra.com