How to silently update enterprise app on supervised devices without VPP?

ryanwaggoner's picture

ryanwaggoner

No votes yet

We have a couple dozen iPads installed as kiosks at various locations, remotely managed via Meraki. We've used Apple Configuration to put the devices in supervised mode, however, we did setup a shared Apple ID that all the devices were logged into upon setup, and we also set passcodes on the device.

Our kiosk app is an enterprise app, and I'm pushing from Meraki by creating a managed app linking to our manifest.plist file.

However, as we push out updates, we're getting inconsistent behavior. What I'd like is to have the app silently update without any user intervention, which does sometimes happen. But sometimes it requires the user to accept the update. I don't believe we've been asked to re-enter the password, but I'm not sure, as I have to wait for the user reports to trickle in from the various locations.

Again, we're not using VPP, which is what all the silent update sources I can find seem to assume. Just a standard enterprise distribution app.

Would love any suggestions!

vhailor88's picture

vhailor88

Any updates on this?

Your rating: None

Any updates on this?

Sarika Abraham's picture

Sarika Abraham

Hi, Try this 1. Disable the

Hi,
Try this

1. Disable the KIOSK Mode of inHouse app.
2. Add a new App in KIOSK Mode (this will kill the instance of in-house App running in the iPad).
3. Disable the KIOSK Mode.
4. Upgrade the inHouse app.
5. Set KIOSK mode with upgraded in-house App

Node4Life's picture

Node4Life

Update app silently without VPP

Hi ryanwaggoner

Try this:
1. Disable KIOSK mode of your Enterprise app.
2. Add a new app in KIOSK mode (this will kill the instance of enterprise app running on the iPad).
3. Disable KIOSK Mode.
4. Now update your Enterprise app.
5. Set the updated enterprise app as KIOSK.
You are good to go. Hope this helps.

Thanks