How to update apps purchased via VPP?

arthurmzee's picture

arthurmzee

No votes yet

Hello all!
Is anyone here deploying iOS devices to remote sites with an app purchased via the App Store's Volume Purchasing Program (VPP) for Business? If so, how are you updating the app on the remote iOS devices?
Please let me know.
Thanks in advance,
az

mscheid13's picture

mscheid13

We use our MDM

Your rating: None

We have two different MDMs... in Casper (from JAMF software) there is a self service app that allows updates to be run. In LightSpeed MDM we have our iPads that are in an Institutional model that allows me to upload the update to the server and it will push an update message to the device. The end user clicks update and the update will download from the MDM server with the correct Apple ID info.

There are a number of things each of these solution are contingent upon that I don't have time to go into detail here. I will try to post some more info on my blog soon.

arthurmzee's picture

arthurmzee

Hi mscheid13, Thanks for

Hi mscheid13,

Thanks for your response.
I figured that it would have to be done via an MDM. Can it be done via Apple's Profile Manager?
How come you're using two MDMs, Casper and LightSpeed? Finally, is it possible to update an
app on the iOS device without the user tapping update?
I'll check your blog regularly.

Thanks in advance,
az

mscheid13's picture

mscheid13

Apple profile manager can do

Apple profile manager can do the same things an MDM from a third party can do.

We use casper to manage our macs and adult ipads and LightSpeed to manage our student iPads. They have very different needs and the differing tools fit those needs better.

At this point I do not believe it is not possible to have no interaction from an end user. Per apples design...

Mike

Johan Gunverth's picture

Johan Gunverth

Still waiting for VPP, but...

...we're doing it through Profile Manager to a couple of hundred devices. With a single app purchase. Just to try it out before Apple sometime the next decade releases VPP for the rest of Europe. It works like a charm when PM actually pushes out some kind of App Store ticket to the user. No way yet to do it silently. The user have to tap "Yes, thank you" to the offer.

Still confused why Apple let this through in Profile Manager and not in Configurator (for pre-enrollment). Probably because the VPP is just a contract and not a technical solution. Still won't get any real answers from Apple.