MDM Server Development

Dvelopin's picture

Dvelopin

No votes yet

Good Day All,

So I have been investigating the world of MDM and trying to learn how it all works. I found an older guide online on how to host your own internal MDM server. I followed the guide until it got to the point of building your mobileconfig file which will be used to configure devices to talk to your MDM Server.

Everything I can find is always reference the old tool, iPhone Configuration Utility. This is no longer available.

I can't seem to find anything which talks specifically about using Apple Configurator 1 or 2 to generate this mobile config. Looking at Apple Configurator, there are no options available to specify an MDM Server. Is there something I need to do to "flip the switch" to turn on MDM in the profile I am trying to create? Or should one use something else for this?

I read about using OS X Server and Profile Manager to do this, but am having issues logging in to Profile Manager, for some reason. Not sure what password to use?

If anybody has a more up to date guide or instruction they can provide on this, that would be extremely helpful.

I have my enterprise iOS account setup, I have MDM enabled, I have my push certificate, and I have a domain on the web with SSL installed and ready to go...I just can't get my mobileconfig generated.

So if anybody has the way to do this, and I believe we need to also "sign" the mobileconfig file too, correct? If so, how?

Thank you so much!

jackmann17's picture

MDM Server Development

Your rating: None

Easy way: OSX Lion Server ships with a "Profile Manager" section which offers the whole MDM process (with the SCEP stack). This service is made up of ruby scripts so you can peek to see how it's done.

Hard way: implement your Profile Manager (profile generation and management), implement your Push server, add the SCEP stack (and the LDAP or Active Directory if you need to) and pray for everything to works together. Java training in chennai

Dvelopin's picture

Dvelopin

Thanks for your reply

Your rating: None

Thanks for your reply jackmann17.

Does it have to be "Lion Server" specifically, or would the current version work as well for this? Would this also let me specify checkin server URL's and all that?

I am trying to make this work with a custom web server, so I guess I need to pursue the hard way, but I am having trouble implementing the profile generation and management aspect of all this. I think if I can get this part to work properly and then have it query the server, I should be able to take care of the rest.

What would be required for "your Push server"? Does this not happen with Apple's push server? I appreciate any help you can provide on this subject.