Most silent way to update app?

cjacobsson's picture

cjacobsson

No votes yet

I have a number of iPads that are enrolled to my OSX MDM server and Profile Manager. The iPads are non-personal devices placed in public office areas, mounted in iPads stands. My question is, what is the easiest way to update an app that is already installed to the latest version? Is there a way of doing this without user interaction? The app is in the App Store.

The devices are currently running iOS 5.1.1. My OS X Server is on Mountain Lion with Profile Manager 2.

Thanks!
Claes

Guillaume's picture

Guillaume

+1 Interested in the issue to!

Your rating: None

Thanks

Alexanderre's picture

Alexanderre

+1

would be good to know Smile



chimby's picture

chimby

As far as I'm aware you

As far as I'm aware you cannot silently update apps.

The easiest way would be to manually update. If you have iOS 6 you won't need to enter your password.

You could also use Configurator if they are VPP or free apps.

What happens if you try to push the updated app to the device via your MDM? I'm guessing you will get the on screen prompt to install the app.

cjacobsson's picture

cjacobsson

Yes...

...I just get the user prompt. Since the iPads are non-personal and in a public office space I would like to avoid any user interaction or disturbance. But right now I don't see how to accomplish that.

Anyone?

aodannel's picture

aodannel

iOS app silent update

Unfortunately there is not a way to perform a silent application update (at the moment). If you push an application to an iOS device using an MDM solution, the user is prompted to install or cancel the install. From what I've heard, this functionality may be coming in the future.