Need an MDM to push apps via USB?

HamidZaeri's picture

HamidZaeri

Your rating: None (20 votes)

Hi
I need an MDM or configurator with support of these 2 features:

- Push apps from computer to iDevices preferably through USB so no need to be downloaded again.
- Assign apps to End-Users Apple IDs so they could update apps anytime anywhere.

jesselvella's picture

jesselvella

DEP / Apple Configurator

Your rating: None

Use Apple Configurator, an OSX app, to push apps via USB.
Use DEP in combination with VPP to send end users apps over the air. deploy.apple.com

HamidZaeri's picture

HamidZaeri

Thanks What about Updating

Thanks
What about Updating apps? Do the apps on iDevice need end-user Apple id to update from appstore or mine (the one first used to dl from itunes)?

jesselvella's picture

jesselvella

Updating Apps

If using Apple Configurator (AC) it will require the Apple ID used to authenticate the apps in AC when importing them.

If using an MDM it will require the Apple ID signed in when the app was pushed out or redeemed.

So if you're using AC to push apps out using a USB sync station you can update the apps in mass from that station or give the end user the Apple ID. I have never had an issue giving the Apple ID out since it's more of a service account anyway.

HamidZaeri's picture

HamidZaeri

Could i use an end-user Apple

Could i use an end-user Apple ID to authenticate upon importing to AC and then push to his\her device?
Is any MDM able to push apps via USB?

jesselvella's picture

jesselvella

Apple ID

You technically could but you would need to do one by one.

I don't think any MDM does a USB push since they are meant to be over-the-air management solutions.

Apple Config is the way to go when looking to use USB.

Jakey's picture

Jakey

Not yet

HamidZaeri wrote:

Hi
I need an MDM or configurator with support of these 2 features:

- Push apps from computer to iDevices preferably through USB so no need to be downloaded again.
- Assign apps to End-Users Apple IDs so they could update apps anytime anywhere.

Can't be done currently

What problem are you trying to solve?

you can do second point with most of them, but first point won't work with second.

Doing it over the air with a caching server may help if it's bandwidth to internet your worried about

ruthgeorge's picture

The premise of MDM is about

The premise of MDM is about trusting and sharing. Luton valet parking

sarahtaylor007's picture

mobitsolutions provides all

mobitsolutions provides all kind of technology related technical solutions. http://www.mobitsolutions.com/

apupavithran's picture

apupavithran

Re: Need an MDM to push apps via USB?

Hi Hamid,

Why do you really need to deploy it via USB ? Why don't you set up an MDM Solution & enrol these devices to deploy the apps(and its updates) or any configurations.

Almost every MDM vendor out there in the Market should be able to do that for you. Compare the vendors and choose the one which suites your needs.

Thanks and regards
Apu Pavithran
Hexnode | Mitsogo Inc
www.hexnode.com/mobile-device-management