Remote iPad Support

tomkc's picture

tomkc

Your rating: None (2 votes)

We have deployed our own custom native iPad app interfaced to SAP for 125 remote sales people. I would be interested what other organizations are doing to remotely support their iPads and any custom apps they might have.

Depot service?
Remote options, I've looked but doesn't seem there are any good options for remote iPad support (i.e. like RDP for Windows, etc.) mainly due to Apple's architecture. Any suggestions?

Johan Gunverth's picture

Johan Gunverth

As you've noticed there is no

Your rating: None

Johan Gunverth's picture

Johan Gunverth

As you've noticed there is no

As you've noticed there is no way to remote control an iOS device. Apple is extremely strict with privacy.

The closest I've got is to connect the iOS device to a Mac through USB, open QT Player, start new recording, choose the iOS device as source and then remote control that Mac. From there you can watch what's going on live and let the user run the device.

Aaron Freimark's picture

Aaron Freimark

MobileIron Help@Work

I saw a demo once from our friends at MobileIron about a help desk app — maybe called Help@Work? — that leveraged managed Apple TV broadcast (available with supervision) and proxied ports to allow a help desk to view a remote device screen anywhere in the world. It was fabulous. Did it make it into a real product?

--
Aaron Freimark, Enterprise iOS founder & GroundControl CEO

Uroshnor's picture

Uroshnor

You might be doing it wrong....

If you are finding you need RDP support , to mitigate the users not understanding how to drive the UI of you App, and it is driving Helpdesk calls.

There are instances where it is valid, however, in general - the fact that the user needs to engage the Helpdesk is indicative of a culture of learned helplessness , or the App has one or more significant design issues.

I'd take a long , hard look at what is driving the Helpdesk calls, and use that to take a long hard reexamination of the Apps design.

WRT RDP , not ideal but FaceTime from another device works well to show the issue. If you want RDP for the helpdesk to fix the issue for the user, then you are more in one of the previously mentioned categories.

Joshua Elvey's picture

Joshua Elvey

There are MDM providers who

There are MDM providers who will provide an sdk for you to include in your app, which will allow for remote screen viewing. The drawbacks are that it doesn't provide control, nor does the feature work outside of the application, such as at the home screen or other applications. Call up MobileIron, SOTI, Moki or AirWatch to see what they've got..might be what you need.