Share iPad Screen with 40 Others

Dennis's picture

Dennis

Your rating: None (2 votes)

We have a field team of reps that visit retail stores. They are issued an iPad Mini to conduct their reports in the field. We would like to give the District Managers the ability to share their screen with their employees (between 30 and 40 people) to conduct trainings. We will at times need to share documents which I know there are lots of solutions, i.e. Join.Me Pro, but what we really need to be able share the actual screen so we can train them on how to access and fill out the call reports that they will use.

I am having a challenge finding a solution that will allow us to share our iPad screen with 30 to 40 people at once on their PCs or iPads where they can actually watch us using iPad Apps.

It would also be a bonus if this would allow the District Manager to also view an employee's iPad screen to help trouble shoot or answer an individual's question. This only has to share with one or two others at most.

Any suggestions?

viscafe's picture

viscafe

How about?

Your rating: None

Conference for iPad, it only supports 15 connections thought.

http://www.regularrateandrhythm.com/apps/conference-pad/

Mitch Boston's picture

Mitch Boston

The only technology I'm aware

The only technology I'm aware of that allows the display of everything from an iPad screen is AirPlay mirroring, and I have yet to see software that pushes this to other iPads for viewing. The collaboration apps you will find only allow you to manipulate documents within itself and send that to other iPads.

You could AirPlay mirror an iPad to a computer and then screen share the computer to many iPads.

Flamin Amy's picture

Flamin Amy

Have you tried the Reflector App?

We have used the Reflector App to display the iPad screen on a laptop with AirPlay mirroring. Then we conduct a LiveMeeting from the laptop. The attendees of the LiveMeeting have to use their PC to join the meeting but this allows them to follow along with the presenter on their iPad. There were some challenges in our company using AirPlay due to the bonjour protocol not being supported on our wireless network but we got around it by setting up a separate network for the PC and iPad using a standalone router (with network services and information security's blessing of course).

Mitch Boston's picture

Mitch Boston

This is exactly what I'm

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Yes, I've used Reflector App and AirSever.

To solve the bonjour issues, look at the Aerohive bonjour gateway appliance or this open source solution article: http://www.packetmischief.ca/2012/09/20/airplay-vlans-and-an-open-source-solution/

mscheid13's picture

mscheid13

Reflector + Goto meeting

We have used reflector to mirror to a computer, then run a goto meeting from the computer and additional viewers join the meeting via computer or ipad. Works well.

Dennis's picture

Dennis

What is frustrating is that

What is frustrating is that LogMeIn pro tech support has been emailing me telling me their Pro account will do it on the iPad, but in reality it will do that on a Windows desktop, but with their iPad app, it will only share any docs that you can open inside their app. It will NOT share the whole screen and using othe apps.

you were right. After doing a LOT of research it appears that Reflector with AirPlay is the ONLY option available. I am then using LogMeIn pro to broadcast the iPad from my Windows laptop to the field employees we need to train. I was able to change my cursor to a real hand with a finger to show my tapping on the screen.

I am also using Camtasia to record me using it so I can make a training video.

There is one catch to be aware of. Reflector will stutter sometimes, especially when there is a transition on the iPad, like sliding to the side or something popping up or down along the top or bottom. The only way to minimize this is to go with a smaller size to stream, be right next to your wirless router, slide very slowly, etc.... But you will still have some. And Reflector does not give any indication when and where you are tapping on the screen, so you will have to have something else to direction people where to click, like LogMeIn Pro presentation tools, my hand cursor, or telling people where on a conf call etc....

Thank you all for helping!!!!!!! Cool

mattfusf's picture

mattfusf

We've found two solutions

We've found two solutions that work pretty well when paired with a laptop running GoToMeeting or WebEx:

IPEVO - http://www.ipevo.com/prods/Point-2-View-USB-Camera - basically a web cam that can be pointed downward to show an iPad screen. Upside is remote users can see where you are touching, and it is fairly inexpensive. Downside is you have some glare issues depending on ambient lighting.

The other is much more expensive. It is the VGA2USB LR from Epiphan - http://www.epiphan.com/products/frame-grabbers/vga2usb-lr/. You also need the iPad VGA adapter. You connect a VGA cable to the iPad adapter into the VGA2USB, and it plugs into a USB port. An app included with the VGA2USB then mirrors anything coming off the iPad. No glare issues and the image quality is quite crisp (also good for recording) but the users can't see where you are touching.

Matt

myvzbee's picture

myvzbee

The post is written in very a

The post is written in very a good manner and it entails many useful information for me. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. I am happy to hear more from you in the future.

ipad mini cases