Updated version of the Apple ID-creating Script

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Your rating: None (2 votes)

I have updated the script to work with versions 11.2.2 and 11.3

You can find the updated version here: https://github.com/brandonusher/Apple-ID-AppleScript

I have tested the creation process with the updated version while creating ~3,000 IDs and I only ran into one issue I couldn't fix, which is as follows:

• Sometimes AppleScript won't be able to find the iTunes window, so it breaks. To fix this, just edit the spreadsheet to remove the IDs it has already created and run the script again.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I can try to help you out Smile

Eight_Quarter_Bit's picture

Eight_Quarter_Bit

Awesome!

Your rating: None (2 votes)

Glad to see someone picking up the torch. Moving forward, the old script may prove to be a better basic design (though I cringe at some of my old handiwork) to keep updated, as long as there is someone to maintain it. AIDAB was a nice idea since it allowed for updating the basic process without having to edit the script itself, but it was pretty fundamentally broken by Mavericks. That, plus if changes to the code are required it's a rather involved and ugly process, as you have seen. Fixes for even the simplest bugs become quite difficult.

It appears whatever Apple was doing to aggressively protect against automation has been adjusted (or it was just an honest-to-goodness bug in the first place.) I was pretty sure automating iTunes in general was doomed for those months where all I got over email were reports of the script erroring out. The many recent successes have been encouraging.

It may be time for yet another ground-up rewrite in the old, simple style: something that will probably stop working any time iTunes updates, but is easier to maintain if you're semi-proficient with reading scripting languages. I wish there was a better middle-ground, as the sysadmin in me desperately wants an elegant, correct solution to this problem. I don't like building things I know will break. Wink

leetreet's picture

leetreet

Trying to use this for the first time (errors in script)

Your rating: None

This is my first attempt with this and when I try to do a dry run I get a few different errors.
I am running 10.8.5 and itunes is 11.3.

The first error was: "The variable checkFrequency is not defined" I am not a AppleScript expert so I just added that set variable before its use (set checkFrequency to 0.25). That allowed the script to move forward. I got another error about not finding the logo but I closed the sidebar in itunes and that seemed to fix that.

The current error I am experiencing is: "System Events got an error: Can't get splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes". invalid index." The result from AppleScript was: "Invalid index." number -1719 from splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes""

Also, what do I set for Account Status in the inputfile? or is that blank and gets updated with a creation status?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks for your work on this project.

Jeremy

ccochran's picture

ccochran

Also receiving an error

Once I run the script and select the csv file it immediately throws an error
error "can't get item 1 of {}

Any suggestions?

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Error troubleshooting

Your rating: None (1 vote)
leetreet wrote:

The first error was: "The variable checkFrequency is not defined" I am not a AppleScript expert so I just added that set variable before its use (set checkFrequency to 0.25).

I added checkFrequency as a property at the top of the script. Hopefully that should prevent the issue again.

leetreet wrote:

The current error I am experiencing is: "System Events got an error: Can't get splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes". invalid index." The result from AppleScript was: "Invalid index." number -1719 from splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes""

This is the specific error I was unable to "code out" and is the one that just requires closing iTunes and starting the script again with a modified CSV.

leetreet wrote:

Also, what do I set for Account Status in the inputfile? or is that blank and gets updated with a creation status?

The original authors thought was to write to that field once an account was created so you didn't have to modify the CSV every time the script errors out and you have to start it again. As I am learning more about AppleScript, I am going to try and implement the feature they were looking for in this field, but until then the field is useless.

ccochran wrote:

Once I run the script and select the csv file it immediately throws an error
error "can't get item 1 of {}

Any suggestions?

Is there a specific line and variable it highlights after throwing an error?

jesselvella's picture

jesselvella

Error

Thanks for working on this! I really hope this script will work. Here is the error I am getting now when running it:

System Events got an error: Can’t get UI element "iBooks" of group 1 of UI element 1 of scroll area 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes".

Any help would be great!

-Jesse

ccochran's picture

ccochran

error line

The following line is highlighted in the below section
"set item loopCounter of columnContents to item columnToGet of item loopCounter of fileContents"

--BEGIN GET COLUMN CONTENTS BEGIN GET COLUMN CONTENTS
on getColumnContents(columnToGet, fileContents)
set columnContents to {}
repeat with loopCounter from 1 to (count of items of fileContents)
set columnContents to columnContents & 1
set item loopCounter of columnContents to item columnToGet of item loopCounter of fileContents
end repeat
return columnContents
end getColumnContents

leetreet's picture

leetreet

Brandon, Thanks for fixing

Brandon, Thanks for fixing the script variable. I am still getting the :

"System Events got an error: Can't get splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes". invalid index." The result from AppleScript was: "Invalid index." number -1719 from splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes""

error even when I close iTunes and modify the input file. I tried this on 2 different macs and I get the same error. The different Mac is 10.6.8 with itunes 11.3.

When I check iTunes its sitting on the iBooks app screen. This is happening in the onVerifyPage area of the script.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Some answers

jesselvella wrote:

Thanks for working on this! I really hope this script will work. Here is the error I am getting now when running it:

System Events got an error: Can’t get UI element "iBooks" of group 1 of UI element 1 of scroll area 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes".

Any help would be great!

-Jesse

This means the script was unable to check it had the iBooks page loaded. When this happens, is iBooks loaded up? Is iTunes at version 11.2.2 or 11.3?

ccochran wrote:

The following line is highlighted in the below section
"set item loopCounter of columnContents to item columnToGet of item loopCounter of fileContents"

--BEGIN GET COLUMN CONTENTS BEGIN GET COLUMN CONTENTS
on getColumnContents(columnToGet, fileContents)
set columnContents to {}
repeat with loopCounter from 1 to (count of items of fileContents)
set columnContents to columnContents & 1
set item loopCounter of columnContents to item columnToGet of item loopCounter of fileContents
end repeat
return columnContents
end getColumnContents

After some testing, it seems the script isn't detecting CSV's correctly when you just create them with a text editor but works fine when you open the same csv in excel, save then exit. I am not sure when I will be able to try and figure the issue and fix it.

leetreet wrote:

Brandon, Thanks for fixing the script variable. I am still getting the :

"System Events got an error: Can't get splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes". invalid index." The result from AppleScript was: "Invalid index." number -1719 from splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes""

error even when I close iTunes and modify the input file. I tried this on 2 different macs and I get the same error. The different Mac is 10.6.8 with itunes 11.3.

When I check iTunes its sitting on the iBooks app screen. This is happening in the onVerifyPage area of the script.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hmm.. Come to think about it, I didn't test the script on any OS other than 10.9. I will have to look into this further because jesselvella is having the same issue.

ccochran's picture

ccochran

another error

I was able to get the previous error I posted fixed by opening the csv file in "mac excel" I had edited on a pc and just copied over, that seemed to correct that issue. The new error I get is similar in nature to what a couple of other people have posted.

I am running
iTunes 11.3
OSX 10.9.4

The error is:

error "System Events got an error: Can’t get splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process \"iTunes\". Invalid index." number -1719 from splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes"

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Something I forgot to ask

ccochran wrote:

I was able to get the previous error I posted fixed by opening the csv file in "mac excel" I had edited on a pc and just copied over, that seemed to correct that issue. The new error I get is similar in nature to what a couple of other people have posted.

I am running
iTunes 11.3
OSX 10.9.4

The error is:

error "System Events got an error: Can’t get splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process \"iTunes\". Invalid index." number -1719 from splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes"

Do you have the sidebar and status bar showing in iTunes?

ccochran's picture

ccochran

No. Neither side bar, nor

No. Neither side bar, nor status bar are showing.

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Sidebar and status bar

Can you try the script again after showing the sidebar and status bar? What is the result?

ccochran's picture

ccochran

Worked. After showing those

Worked.
After showing those two items the "dry run" ran completed the test filling in the correct fields.
Thanks. I thought I read where they were not to be shown, but I guess I miss read the statement somewhere.

Thanks Again!!!

usher.br's picture

usher.br

My bad

I probably didn't document that anywhere, so I will be sure to do that now Smile

Thanks for helping me out with testing this

leetreet's picture

leetreet

I dont see where to turn on

I dont see where to turn on the status bar but after I turn on the side bar I get an error:

error "System Events got an error: Can’t get UI element \"iBooks\" of group 1 of UI element 1 of scroll area 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process \"iTunes\"." number -1728 from UI element "iBooks" of group 1 of UI element 1 of scroll area 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes"

this is also at onVerifyPage but down further at the ifRequireGroup then part

Let me know if you want me to try it again.

Jeremy

StuartQF's picture

StuartQF

Status bar depends on OS X version

I have tried this on iTunes 11.3 on both 10.6 and 10.9 and only 10.9 has an option to turn on status bar. So at this time, for me, it only works on 10.9.

Also, I had to reverse the day and month 'tell me' bits since I'm in Canada and our date format is different from US

Quote:

tell me to FillInPopup("Day", pop up button 1 of group 1 of group 13 of theForm, userBirthDay, 31)
tell me to FillInPopup("Month", pop up button 1 of group 2 of group 13 of theForm, userBirthMonth, 12)

and changed state and zip to province and postal code.

Quote:

try
set frontmost of application process "iTunes" to true --Verify that iTunes is the front window before performking keystroke event
set focused of pop up button "Select a province" of group 2 of group 10 of theForm to true
keystroke addressState
on error
set errorList to errorList & "Unable to set State drop-down to " & addressState
end try

try
set value of text field "Postal Code" of group 3 of group 10 of theForm to addressZip
on error
set errorList to errorList & "Unable to set Zip Code field to " & addressZip
end try
ccochran's picture

ccochran

Only sets up two accounts

Only sets up two accounts then errors out.
I have run the script 3 times to setup 20 accounts. It quites after setting up two random accounts in the list. First it was line 2 and 5, then 8 and 10, last time it was 9 and 11.
Only creates two and it still hasn't created the low number lines 1, 3,4, 6 or 7.

Ideas?

bevo_79's picture

bevo_79

AppleScript Error

After getting passed the "side bar" and "scroll bar" issue, I re-ran the script, and got a new errors:

AppleScript
System Events got an error: Can’t get scroll area 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes". Invalid index.

iTunes
We could not complete your iTunes Store Request. An unknown error has occurred (11222). There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later.

Running OS 10.9.4
iTunes 11.3
AppleScript Editor v2.6.1 (152.1)
AppleScript 2.3.2

ccochran's picture

ccochran

Seems the problem is on the

Seems the problem is on the billing info page. It doesn't always complete all the information and gives red boxes around 'title' also. Is this suppose to auto select or should there be a field in the csv for that also?

ccochran's picture

ccochran

after re-running the script a

after re-running the script a couple times. It seems to be that it is NOT setting the title in the billing info section.

It does seem to work correctly when you run a "dry run" the first time, but not when you continue the dry run or actually try to create the IDs.

ccochran's picture

ccochran

Tried another Macbook. Work

Tried another Macbook. Work flawlessly on it. Same everything. Got my need IDs setup.

Sorry for bothering you, but THANKS for your help and tweaking this script!

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Hmm.. that's weird. Well

Hmm.. that's weird. Well thanks for the update Smile

daybreaker01's picture

daybreaker01

NOOB with a few questions

Hi! I will preface this by saying I am NOT a Mac guy nor am I an expert in scripting. The only reason I need this tool is because it is the only thing I have found that can possibly help me create a few hundred accounts for our school district.

That said, I had downloaded and used the Apple ID Automation Builder to create a script for creating the IDs. Upon tweaking the CSV file and running the script I found that I could not set the credit card expiration information when creating the ID. I saw that you had updated the script and I updated iTunes to 11.3. Where I am stuck now is how I utilize this update?

Do I still need to use the Automation Builder to go through the steps? If so, what do I need to do to make it work with these latest updates? I have looked at the included CSV file and do not see any credit card information fields. Is this not required anymore?

Since our iPads are for students and they will not purchase from iTunes (we use VPP and an MDM solution), is there any way to not set a payment option without having to go back in and change it like before?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I would like to understand it all but really I just need to get the accounts created as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help.

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Hey daybreaker01, I am a firm

Hey daybreaker01,

I am a firm believer that there's no such thing as a noob question.

When you click the GitHub link in my original post, simply download the appleids.csv file and the Enterprise iOS Apple ID Creator.applescript file

Edit the csv, then make sure to at least open it once in excel and simply re-save it as a csv. Then open the Enterprise iOS Apple ID Creator.applescript with AppleScript Editor (should be the default application) and hit run. Then just follow the prompts the script gives you.

Make sure to use 10.9.4 and iTunes 11.2.2 or 11.3 and have the sidebar and status bar showing.

usher.br's picture

usher.br

iTunes Cache

bevo_79 wrote:

After getting passed the "side bar" and "scroll bar" issue, I re-ran the script, and got a new errors:

AppleScript
System Events got an error: Can’t get scroll area 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes". Invalid index.

iTunes
We could not complete your iTunes Store Request. An unknown error has occurred (11222). There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later.

Running OS 10.9.4
iTunes 11.3
AppleScript Editor v2.6.1 (152.1)
AppleScript 2.3.2

Have you tried clearing the cache in iTunes? I did some searching and found that may fix the issue.

To reset iTunes Store cache:

1. In iTunes, choose iTunes > Preferences.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Click the "Reset cache" button.
4. Click OK and see if the issue is resolved.

bevo_79's picture

bevo_79

iTunes Cache

Hi Usher.br

Yes that worked. Thanks for addressing the issue!

Now if only there were an automated way to verify all the accounts with Apple post creation! v2.0 perhaps? Smile

Thanks again for the help!

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Not a problem

bevo_79 wrote:

Hi Usher.br

Yes that worked. Thanks for addressing the issue!

Now if only there were an automated way to verify all the accounts with Apple post creation! v2.0 perhaps? Smile

Thanks again for the help!

Not a problem, glad I could help.

As for the verification, my District uses Google Apps for email so I was able to mass script the emails to be forwarded to one account and task my co-workers to verify the emails.

daybreaker01's picture

daybreaker01

How do I open the status and side bars

Thanks for the last reply Brandon. Apparently I am in the same boat as some others here with trying to open the status bar and side bar. How does that work?

Even without have those open, I ran the script with an edited csv file that had the info for one account in it. I got the same Applescript error that others have reported: Can’t get item 1 of {}.

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Status bar and Sidebar

The options to turn both of these on should be under "View" at the top of the screen

daybreaker01's picture

daybreaker01

OMG

What did I say about being a NOOB and non-mac guy? LOL

That was the one View menu I didn't look at. Thanks again!

daybreaker01's picture

daybreaker01

Got the bars. Now got an error

So I got the bars up. Thank you. Now I am still getting this error when running the script.

error "Can’t get item 1 of {}." number -1728 from item 1 of {}

In the script window this section is highlighted:

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Mac Excel

Did you create the file with Excel on the Mac or did you use a text editor?

If you used a text editor, you must open the file in Excel on the Mac and save the file. For some reason, AppleScript doesn't like it when it's written by hand. I've inspected both files, one saved with Excel and one not, and have not noticed any difference.

daybreaker01's picture

daybreaker01

I actually edited it in Excel

I actually edited it in Excel on my PC and saved as CSV. Then brought it over to the Mac.

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Did you try

And then it gave you an error? Did you try it with Excel for Mac?

daybreaker01's picture

daybreaker01

Don't have Excel for Mac

Yes Brandon. I don't have Excel for Mac as we really only used our Mac to configure iPads for distribution. If that will correct the problem I will have to look into getting it I guess.

One other question that I thought of. In looking at the CSV file headers, I see nothing that relates to the credit card information during the ID creation process. Is that handled within the script?

Thanks again!

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Credit Card Info

Yup, it's handled in the script.

This script makes Apple IDs without inputting any Credit Card information, as it chooses "None" for payment method upon creation.

Also, upon further investigation, I realized exporting a csv from Numbers works just the same as doing it with Excel. You might try that first, as most Macs come with Numbers nowadays

daybreaker01's picture

daybreaker01

Numbers worked! But not I am

Numbers worked! But now I am getting the other error I see here frequently.

System Events got an error: Can’t get splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes". Invalid index.

set elementCount to count every UI element of UI element 1 of scroll area 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes"

daybreaker01's picture

daybreaker01

It works!

Ok, so the problem with the splitter group error was I didn't have the status and side bars open in iTunes. Ran through a dry run of one account and it went through fine. Will try with multiples shortly.

dronf's picture

dronf

Two issues for me...

1: The CSV doesn't have an entry for the Rescue Email. I use this for all my IDs so would love to have it added.

2: The script never clicks the final Create Apple ID button for me, even when I don't use dry-run. It fills out everything...then starts over with the next entry in the CSV.

Any ideas?

thanks!

daybreaker01's picture

daybreaker01

Agree... Need the Rescue Email field available

dronf wrote:

1: The CSV doesn't have an entry for the Rescue Email. I use this for all my IDs so would love to have it added.

I agree! Having the Rescue Email field would be a huge improvement for those of us who have to verify each account that is created. At least we can do the verifications from a single email address rather than logging into each created address.

coombes69's picture

coombes69

Issue with this script

Hi,

I am trying to use this script in the UK and when doing a dry run iTunes opens a page for iBooks and then an error pops up saying cant find install button.

If I install manually and continue then I get an error saying cant find sign in page.

If I manually go to create apple id page in iTunes then I get another error that it cant find page and script aborts.

Really hope someone can help as manually doing 100 accounts is going to take forever Sad

Thanks
Chris

usher.br's picture

usher.br

GitHub Issue and locale

@daybreaker01: I'll see about adding this. I've created a GitHub Issue for this. You can find it here: https://github.com/brandonusher/Apple-ID-AppleScript/issues/1

@coombes69: I didn't do any testing for any locale other than US. I'm not sure I can have the script create for multiple locales at once, but I can see about duplicating this and getting it to work for UK locale

daybreaker01's picture

daybreaker01

I added the Rescue Email field

Thanks for the update Brandon. I figured out how to add the input field into the script myself and got it working. As it turns out I probably won't use it for what I am doing right now. But it is good to have just in case.

The script is working great. Created about 100 accounts today! Thanks for all your help.

coronado's picture

coronado

Nice, but how do you activate?

usher.br wrote:

I have updated the script to work with versions 11.2.2 and 11.3

You can find the updated version here: https://github.com/brandonusher/Apple-ID-AppleScript

I have tested the creation process with the updated version while creating ~3,000 IDs and I only ran into one issue I couldn't fix, which is as follows:

• Sometimes AppleScript won't be able to find the iTunes window, so it breaks. To fix this, just edit the spreadsheet to remove the IDs it has already created and run the script again.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I can try to help you out Smile

Really nice!

But some questions, though.

How do you activate these accounts?
How do you circumvent Apples lock that only 200 accounts in 6 to 8 hours can be activated? (or actually receive an activation mail.)

Also, how many accounts an hour can the script create? When I test I usually need between 60 and 90 seconds per account to create.

coronado's picture

coronado

Is that possible? That feature was removed earlier this year.

daybreaker01 wrote:
dronf wrote:

I agree! Having the Rescue Email field would be a huge improvement for those of us who have to verify each account that is created. At least we can do the verifications from a single email address rather than logging into each created address.

Apple removed that feature in the end of December or beginning of January. Now you need a unique rescue email address per Apple-ID (if Apple didn't restore that feature).

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Some answers

coronado wrote:

How do you circumvent Apples lock that only 200 accounts in 6 to 8 hours can be activated? (or actually receive an activation mail.)

Also, how many accounts an hour can the script create? When I test I usually need between 60 and 90 seconds per account to create.

Your first two questions are answered in the README, located here: https://github.com/brandonusher/Apple-ID-AppleScript/blob/master/README.md

As for how many it creates, when I did timing I was able to make between 2-4 a minute. You could try messing around with the timing variables in the script located in lines 55-65: https://github.com/brandonusher/Apple-ID-AppleScript/blob/master/Enterpr...

coronado's picture

coronado

OK, thanks a lot!

usher.br wrote:
coronado wrote:

Your first two questions are answered in the README, located here: https://github.com/brandonusher/Apple-ID-AppleScript/blob/master/README.md

As for how many it creates, when I did timing I was able to make between 2-4 a minute. You could try messing around with the timing variables in the script located in lines 55-65: https://github.com/brandonusher/Apple-ID-AppleScript/blob/master/Enterprise%20iOS%20Apple%20ID%20Creator.applescript#L55-L65

OK, thanks a lot!

When I create accounts, from Europe, the time to complete forms will take circa 10 seconds per account, but during the submit to Apple the wait is circa 30-40 seconds per account. Changing the timing does not affect the wait time.

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Thanks to Apple

This is because iTunes takes that much time to realize that the account has been created and is logged into the current instance on the computer. Unfortunately, this is the safest way I know of to do the waiting. Once iTunes knows it has loaded the page and logged the user in, then the script can proceed. Sorry this is such an inconvenience but this was the best solution I could find to make sure the script doesn't error out because iTunes hasn't actually loaded a page yet.

pinkyponk's picture

pinkyponk

UK Bulk Create

Hi
Also in UK and needing to bulk create users. Just under 200 required but at 4 mins per user manually that is 13.333 hours i will go crazy. Am I right in thinking this is a bit like a windows macro but Appletised.
If it gets stuck on iBook what app does the script use in US iTunes?
Peter

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Same iBooks

pinkyponk wrote:

Hi
Also in UK and needing to bulk create users. Just under 200 required but at 4 mins per user manually that is 13.333 hours i will go crazy. Am I right in thinking this is a bit like a windows macro but Appletised.
If it gets stuck on iBook what app does the script use in US iTunes?
Peter

The script uses the same iBooks page, no matter the locale. As far as I know, this is nothing like Windows Macros.