Updated version of the Apple ID-creating Script

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Your rating: None (4 votes)

I have updated the script to work with versions 11.2.2 and 11.3

You can find the updated version here: https://github.com/brandonusher/Apple-ID-AppleScript

I have tested the creation process with the updated version while creating ~3,000 IDs and I only ran into one issue I couldn't fix, which is as follows:

• Sometimes AppleScript won't be able to find the iTunes window, so it breaks. To fix this, just edit the spreadsheet to remove the IDs it has already created and run the script again.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I can try to help you out Smile

pinkyponk's picture

pinkyponk

Thanks, so once on the iBook

Your rating: None

Thanks, so once on the iBook page what is the next thing the script tries to do?

daybreaker01's picture

daybreaker01

Apparently you can use a single rescue email

coronado wrote:
daybreaker01 wrote:
dronf wrote:

1: The CSV doesn't have an entry for the Rescue Email. I use this for all my IDs so would love to have it added.

I agree! Having the Rescue Email field would be a huge improvement for those of us who have to verify each account that is created. At least we can do the verifications from a single email address rather than logging into each created address.

Apple removed that feature in the end of December or beginning of January. Now you need a unique rescue email address per Apple-ID (if Apple didn't restore that feature).

I setup 7 iPad minis as a test using the same address for all of them and it went through with no problems. I had hoped I would have been able to verify the devices to their regular Apple ID using the rescue account but that didn't work. Therefore I am not adding a rescue address now. But, it does appear to work if I want to use it.

I have a meeting with my Apple reps later this week so I will try to remember to ask them about this.

cjackson's picture

cjackson

Working Update for UK-GB LOCALE / 10.9.4 / iTunes 11.3

Hi - thanks for the update to the script (Brandon). I have worked through the script ant have made some changes that make it compatible with UK-GB, also some minor mods that improve its running on my machine.

Brandon - not sure if there is a way we can have simultaneous universal script? --- With UI differences it would be hard to maintain I am sure.

While I am communicating with you guys, and especially the people that like to share lists of apps, or those that use the VPP portal. I created this tool that massively speeds up my deployment.
People can use it as they please - educators love it, kids too....but where it comes into its own you can create an account for your school where teachers add the apps, and then the admins can click through the list with no fear of buying/installing wrong apps/versions with links straight into the VPP portal. Some people at Apple think its a great tool - but they are not allowed to promote!...or do many things publicly! Anyway - I support hundreds of schools so I created it to speed up my workflow! http://mylistofapps.com

ahhh... back to the Apple ID Creator script...

Can I get some follows on @cjacksonuk --- ta.

Here is the crux of what I changed:

Changes: 28/07/2014
-- Modified CJ 28/7/14 - ***** UK LOCALE MOD *****
- By Christian Jackson
- Modified areas of the code to work in UK
- Search for the following to find all script mods : -- Modified CJ
- Tested on 10.9.4 / iTunes 11.3 (Side bar and Status Bar showing!) / AppleScript 2.3.2
- Doesn't work on 10.7.5 or 10.10 BETA (iTunes V12) (didn't expect it to but its a heads up for us devs) - so keep a VM on 10.9 guys! (or apply for whitelist and I'll create the ID's for you - time cost though)
- Uses included CSV - but converts State to County, Zip to Postcode
- Security Questions only recognised 5 questions, UK list has 6 so adjusted accordingly
- Date order fix
- UI Element Changes
- implement Account Delay - delay before moving onto next user (so you can visually see successful account creation)
- implement Apple Threshold Delay - in theory you could leave a VM running very slowly if you know the threshold to trickle at - 3 Apple IDs per day?
- I am not very good at AppleScript but heres the best attempt
- Email : support [at ] support-expert.co.uk

I don't know much about Git and wouldn't know how to make it work in a workflow environment - so here is link to the changes.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vb75xwi4wu7zx7w/20140728%20UK-GB%20Apple%20ID%...

Christian Jackson
@cjacksonuk

cbellani's picture

cbellani

Assistance needed.

Hi,
Script seems very helpful, but I too am getting errors all over the place. My current road block is i keep hitting this "Can't get item 21 of..." error. I'm guessing it has to do with text formatting in the csv, but this particular entry is pretty much identical to all the previous entries, except it has a different number in its name (example: uscart_04, etc.) Does this make sense to anyone? I am running the script through Apple script editor.

I am also getting an "openFile is not defined" error when i try to compile.

I am on itunes 11.3
and 10.6.8 OS

960Design's picture

960Design

Recommendations

Hello!

I also created an iCloud Account Creator for my environment ( wouldn't you know, I find your hard work AFTER I finished ) and have a couple of ideas that I use that may mitigate some of your script's issues:
1) Initial setup - a quick base line iTunes setup

if application "iTunes" is running then
  tell application "iTunes"
    tell application "System Events"
      tell process "iTunes"
        set frontmost to true
        delay 0.25
        try
          click menu item logoutBtn of menu "Store" of menu bar 1
        end try
        delay 0.25
        tell application "iTunes" to quit --closes iTunes
      end tell
    end tell
  end tell
end if

2) Intelligent delays!

-- Wait for Welcome to iTunes Store to load 
 ( specifically appearance of Continue button )
repeat until button "Continue" of UI element 1 of scroll area 1 of splitter
 group 1 of window "iTunes" of application process "iTunes" of application
 "System Events" exists
    delay 0.5
end repeat

Basically, the code waits until the required element is visible and then reacts. This prevents wasted time and accidental errors due to connection issues. You could add a loop counter check and after 1000 tries or so fail gracefully with a little network communications error message. This is added to all elements in my script. With this setup, I typically create 20 accounts in 8 minutes or so.

I hope this helps.

PS. Code blocks for editing is broken, had to fix manually

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Microsoft Excel CSV

cbellani wrote:

Hi,
My current road block is i keep hitting this "Can't get item 21 of..." error. I'm guessing it has to do with text formatting in the csv, but this particular entry is pretty much identical to all the previous entries, except it has a different number in its name (example: uscart_04, etc.)

The solution I found was because AppleScript doesn't correctly detect a CSV if you edit it in a text editor. Try opening it in OpenOffice or Microsoft Excel and save as a CSV again.

richeamesjr's picture

richeamesjr

Scripting tool thanks and question

First let me say this is been an awesome tool, I hope it will save me from typing 500+ e-mails. I'm running into a small problem when it goes to pick the month of birth, it goes right past what I choose in the csv file. which would be September, and ends at December the script then errors out telling me it couldn't find a match. Should I be using a number, or the word for the month. Or is this a different problem altogether,

Thanks, Rich

cjackson's picture

cjackson

Might also be worth trying

Might also be worth trying 10.9.4 - worked better for me. No luck with 10.6

Christian Jackson
@cjacksonuk

cjackson's picture

cjackson

Scripting tool

richeamesjr wrote:

First let me say this is been an awesome tool, I hope it will save me from typing 500+ e-mails. I'm running into a small problem when it goes to pick the month of birth, it goes right past what I choose in the csv file. which would be September, and ends at December the script then errors out telling me it couldn't find a match. Should I be using a number, or the word for the month. Or is this a different problem altogether,

Thanks, Rich

What country are you in, as the script works for US. try my modified script if your in the UK.

Christian Jackson
@cjacksonuk

richeamesjr's picture

richeamesjr

I'm in the US. I'm on 10.9.4

I'm in the US. I'm on 10.9.4 using iTunes 11.3 (54). I tried to re-run the script this morning and it repeated the same pattern, clicks right through to December, past September which is my Excel field. I try to continue and accept the Dec month, figuring I can batch change the Excel file for archive later. The process appears to finish but Apple never sends a verification e-mail. If I manually create the same ID the ID saves and I can use it.

Thanks again.
Rich

usher.br's picture

usher.br

Hmm..

I am unable to reproduce the issue. From it sounds like, possibly check for a mis-spelling of September.

As for the Verification emails not working, I am not sure. You may have to call Apple for that one, but I did experience a similar issue during my creation process. It took ~1 hour for random Apple IDs to go through to the email

cjackson's picture

cjackson

richeamesjr wrote:

I'm in the US. I'm on 10.9.4 using iTunes 11.3 (54). I tried to re-run the script this morning and it repeated the same pattern, clicks right through to December, past September which is my Excel field. I try to continue and accept the Dec month, figuring I can batch change the Excel file for archive later. The process appears to finish but Apple never sends a verification e-mail. If I manually create the same ID the ID saves and I can use it.

Thanks again.
Rich

I had the same problem - but in my mod of the script I added a delay at the end as the last page wassnt being detected if I remember correctly. Basically it worked then as you say the verification never occurs - and then moves onto the next id. In my case I have a fairly slow connection, so forcing a delay gave the process time to finish, before moving on.

Christian Jackson
@cjacksonuk

richeamesjr's picture

richeamesjr

Working !

Just a small update, I got the script working with no changes. I went back into the .csv file checked all the text, not sure if the "September" had a space in it or not but after re-running the script I added 10 Apple ID's perfectly. Tomorrow I can start the big batches, whitelisted IP and all.

To the original designer and those who continue to write updates to this code I am extremely grateful for your time and skills.

I salute you all, cheers !
Rich

HomeBru's picture

HomeBru

Stopping at iBooks

Thanks for the hard work on this script! I was able to get it working well last week and ran about 300 accounts with few issues.

Today, I started back on the list and it's stopping at the iBooks page. I get the Errors detected popup and can manually correct the issue by going to iTunes and clicking on the "Free". button.

I have not made any changes to the script, CSV, or updated anything. Thoughts?

daybreaker01's picture

daybreaker01

Stuck on iBooks as well

HomeBru wrote:

Thanks for the hard work on this script! I was able to get it working well last week and ran about 300 accounts with few issues.

Today, I started back on the list and it's stopping at the iBooks page. I get the Errors detected popup and can manually correct the issue by going to iTunes and clicking on the "Free". button.

I have not made any changes to the script, CSV, or updated anything. Thoughts?

I am seeing the same thing since yesterday. Running the same script as before. No changes made to the OS or iTunes at all. It just won't open the create account dialog anymore. Dead in the water now.

mi's picture

mi

Same.

Same issue. Worked two days ago. Something must have changed in the iTunes store that the script is expecting.

Tried multiple computers, no dice.

I can't figure it out.

mi's picture

mi

iBooks page verification

Apple must have changed the arrangement of the iBooks app page. the installiBooks() function is failing its verification.

As a temp work around, if you comment out:

set pageVerification to verifyPage("iBooks", "iBooks", 39, netDelay, true) --Looking for "iBooks", in the second element, on a page with a count of 39 elements, with a timeout of 5, and it requires the use of "group 1" for checking

if pageVerification is "verified" then --Actually click the button to obtain iBooks

and one "end if" line from the function, it will move forward.

But it doesn't know if it's truly on the right app page.

Ugh. Apple.

nocor's picture

nocor

workaround is good

same problem here, edited the applescript for the workaround and its working successfully, thanks.
iTunes 11.3.1 has been released (but i ensured NOT to upgrade to that as i only just got whitelisted yeserday)
Its probably all been updated inline with that.
unfortunately i dont posess the applescripting knowledge to convert the button value from the Accessibility Inspector into working Applescript.

due to my lack of experience i also cant tell if it cant verify if its not finding the iBooks page, or being able to click the FREE button.
based on the workaround edits, and seeing whats available in Accessibility Inspector there may have been an increase from 39 objects to 41 objects but i havent tested that change - pumping through accounts now

I also implemented the creation delay at the end thanks to Christians Jacksons edits. probably worth adding in, even if set to 1sec by default allows the user to view the page for an error
Conor

HomeBru's picture

HomeBru

AutoUpdated - AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!

Turned my back and iTunes auto updated to 11.3.1

Took me an hour, but I found an installer for 11.3 at itunes.en.updodown.com/mac/download

Just in case anyone else needs to back up their version.

Uninstall the old itunes in terminal:

type "cd /Applications/" and hit Return. This should route you automatically to the Applications directory.

Type in "sudo rm -rf iTunes.app/" and hit Return

It will ask for your admin password.

I had to go in and delete the iTunes library as well.

S100's picture

S100

Script failing on some UI elements

First off thanks to the developers and the community for creating the script.

I have been testing the script using 10.9.4 and iTunes 11.3.1 (2) and ran into a couple of issues.

1. The script will run fine up until the the questions come up about "Would you like to receive the following via email". There are two possible selections but the script does not click the options causing the script to error out.

I can select "Skip User" in the Apple Script editor to bypass the error. Question can I add a click button command in the script to correct this issue?

Has anyone else gotten 10.9.4 and iTunes 11.3.1 (2) to work?

Thanks for your help

jb's picture

jb

I've found a solution

I've found a solution to

error "Can’t get item 1 of {}." number -1728 from item 1 of {}

Compare the lines

repeat with loopCounter from 1 to (count of items of fileContents)

with the faulty line
set item loopCounter of columnContents to item columnToGet of item loopCounter of fileContents

In the first, the loop counts to an integer (count of items of fileContents). The second line has an extra item of, so change it to
set item loopCounter of columnContents to item columnToGet of fileContents

jb's picture

jb

Darn it, new error. Anyone

Darn it, new error. Anyone have a fix for

AppleEvent timed out. -1712 }

ductran1995's picture

ductran1995

I want to create a large

I want to create a large number of apple id should start from? sorry for my bad english

rogerhenson's picture

rogerhenson

+ 1 on the Side Bar and Status Bar Open Solution

[quote=ccochran]Worked.
After showing those two items the "dry run" ran completed the test filling in the correct fields.
Thanks. I thought I read where they were not to be shown, but I guess I miss read the statement somewhere.

+1 on this solution. We were getting same error, thought it was our new version of iTunes, or MacOS. It was the side and status bar not being open. Thanks Usher for the work on the script.

BeerAdmin's picture

BeerAdmin

Script errors out on third security question

On the third security question I am using "What is the name of your favorite sports team?". I have checked the spelling in my .CSV file and even recreated the .CSV file from scratch and it always selects "What was the first album that you purchased?". And then the script informed me that it cannot fill out the 3rd security question. Anyone else run into this?

Thanks in advance

HomeBru's picture

HomeBru

Updated iTunes

Just an FYI: I was using the script with iTunes 11.3 and OSX 10.94 on a MacbookPro when iTunes would no longer let me complete registration.

I tried running from 11.3.1(2) on a MacbookAir that is fully updated and have been able to move forward as before. It appears that the script is working with iTunes 11.3.1(2) correctly.

I still get the occasional time out error, so I have to babysit the script to know where it stopped.

iCed's picture

iCed

Looping in

Hi!

Thanks Brandon (and all the contributors) for this great tool.
I'm totally new in Applescript, and using iTunes 11.3.2 with your Enterprise iOS script.
I precise that I'm using it on the French iTunes Store. Hat

Here's my first question :
I hope it works in France ? I guess I have to modify the code a little but I'm afraid to be too unexperienced for this, so is it possible to get clues of what should exactly be changed, to avoid mistakes ?

And here's my second question (maybe linked to the first issue...), I'm stuck at this point of the script :

<code language="html">
on verifyPage(expectedElementString, expectedElementLocation, expectedElementCount, verificationTimeout, requiresGroup)
tell application "System Events"
--
repeat until description of scroll area 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes" is "Apple logo"
</code>

The event and answers are looping with :
<code language="html">
get description of scroll area 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes"
--> "logo Apple"
</code>

I guess it must be a great tool and could save me and and my teammates hours of work, so I thank you in advance for your answers ! Smile

iCed

cjackson's picture

cjackson

Hi iCed, It might be worth

Hi iCed,

It might be worth comparing the adapted UK version as I modified Brandons script for UK.
I cannot speak for the French store, but did find there were quite a few things I had to modify on the UI.
The main things were
- US to UK address structure - as we don't have states etc
- The UK date format
- The UK security questions were different (also the quantity of questions were different)
- also some of the detect elements didn't work (probably my lack of applescript skill - so I added in pause timers)
- maybe a few other things so best to do a compare.

UK Version - Tested on
- OSX 10.9.4
- iTunes 10.3.1(2) with Sidebar and Status bar open.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vb75xwi4wu7zx7w/20140728%20UK-GB%20Apple%20ID%...

Christian Jackson
@cjacksonuk

arrhyno's picture

arrhyno

what's changed?

usher.br wrote:

You can find the updated version here: https://github.com/brandonusher/Apple-ID-AppleScript

I have tested the creation process with the updated version while creating ~3,000 IDs and I only ran into one issue I couldn't fix, which is as follows:

• Sometimes AppleScript won't be able to find the iTunes window, so it breaks. To fix this, just edit the spreadsheet to remove the IDs it has already created and run the script again.

Hey, Brandon, yesterday (after minimal tweaks to my data format) aidbc worked just fine with OS X 10.9.4 and iTunes 11.3.1 on quite a few dry runs. I had the Sidebar and Status bar showing. Today, both dry runs and creation runs choke on the same and some new data with an error to the effect that it can't recognize if the iBooks app screen is showing (which clearly is).

I suspect this is different than the caveat you have above. And, it's happening every time with every user. I understand you haven't updated it to 11.3.1 but it was flawless just yesterday. Has Apple reformatted the page such that it's breaking it?

Thanks,
Robert
IT Dept
Mooresville Graded School District

arrhyno's picture

arrhyno

iBooks app page issue

I've now tried aidbc with OS X 10.7.5 and iTunes 11.3.0 and breaking at the same point that I posted earlier while trying 10.9.4 and 11.3.1...errors out saying that it can't recognize the iBooks app page when the page is clearly up.

All that makes me think the app page has changed enough to break the script given that my initial dry run testing yesterday went off without a hitch.

digitam's picture

digitam

Thanks!

Script works great. Thanks for keeping this going!

duffjay's picture

duffjay

Uh oh - was working yesterday, but busted today!

arrhyno wrote:
usher.br wrote:

Hey, Brandon, yesterday (after minimal tweaks to my data format) aidbc worked just fine with OS X 10.9.4 and iTunes 11.3.1 on quite a few dry runs. I had the Sidebar and Status bar showing. Today, both dry runs and creation runs choke on the same and some new data with an error to the effect that it can't recognize if the iBooks app screen is showing (which clearly is).

I suspect this is different than the caveat you have above. And, it's happening every time with every user. I understand you haven't updated it to 11.3.1 but it was flawless just yesterday. Has Apple reformatted the page such that it's breaking it?

Thanks,
Robert
IT Dept
Mooresville Graded School District

I am in the EXACT same situation! I tested with 3-4 accounts yesterday, and it went without a hitch. I am running iTunes 11.4 (18) on Mav Server 10.9.4. It even asked me if I wanted to add 11.4 to the list of working versions of iTunes!

Today, I am trying for real with 1401 accounts, and it errors out with:

get value of static text 1 of scroll area 1 of window of application process "iTunes"
--> error number -1719 from static text 1 of scroll area 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes"

That repeats 4 times, then a count command is listed, then that same error shows up 4 more times. I get the Abort Script stuff after that.

Man, if Mooresville is having trouble with this, at least I'm reasonably certain it's not me! I hope there is a quick fix for this - creating 1401 AppleIDs by hand will most definitely suck.

--
Jay Duff, ACMT
Network Administrator
Mannheim School District 83
Franklin Park, IL

BTW - the post says I joined today, but I have been a member since May 6, 2014.... :/

Kna127's picture

Kna127

Apple Definitely Changed Something....

Apple has definitely changed something. The script was working this morning then stopped working this afternoon. The script sits and reloads the iBook page a couple times and errors out saying it can not find it. Something on the ibook page definitely changed. If you wait for the script to error out you can manually correct the error by clicking on the free button and telling the script to continue. It then creates the account and gets hung up at the ibook page again so it has to be done for each account. I guess they changed something with the free button so they script can no longer detect where its at?

duffjay's picture

duffjay

Fixed it

Kna127 wrote:

Apple has definitely changed something. The script was working this morning then stopped working this afternoon. The script sits and reloads the iBook page a couple times and errors out saying it can not find it. Something on the ibook page definitely changed. If you wait for the script to error out you can manually correct the error by clicking on the free button and telling the script to continue. It then creates the account and gets hung up at the ibook page again so it has to be done for each account. I guess they changed something with the free button so they script can no longer detect where its at?

I was able to get it working by commenting out an if statement, and it's end if. The script is currently on 492 of 1400 new AppleIDs. Otherwise, I'd give you the specific line. It wasn't hard to find, if you look at the results in the Event Log in the AppleScript Editor. If no one else beats me to it, I'll try to post on Monday, when the script will hopefully be finished. It will certainly have ramifications on robustness, but it got the script to do what I need it to.

azeezweeks's picture

azeezweeks

Can't Wait until Monday -- Please this weekend.

duffjay ... I'm an AppleScript Nub ... if you would please let us all know what line you commented out. I have a couple hundred Apple IDs I have to create this weekend. We are shipping our first 458 iPads on Monday and three's not enough beer and pizza in the world to have me stuck doing it manually.

I would be forever grateful if you share with us what you commented out so I could get the script running this weekend.

Thanks a million.

Pomeroy's picture

Pomeroy

csv file correct fields

Hi!
I have just installed itunes 11.2.2 and OSX 10.7.5
Changed language to english and live in Sweden.
I wonder what fields are the correct ones for automation.
Do I need to change the dmg file to work with itunes 11.2.2?
Can you use the same recovery email for all accounts, or maybe leave field blank?

Best regards
-Pomeroy

arrhyno's picture

arrhyno

to your point about the fields

Pomeroy wrote:

Hi!
I have just installed itunes 11.2.2 and OSX 10.7.5
Changed language to english and live in Sweden.
I wonder what fields are the correct ones for automation.
Do I need to change the dmg file to work with itunes 11.2.2?
Can you use the same recovery email for all accounts, or maybe leave field blank?

Best regards
-Pomeroy

I found a dmg of 11.3 by Googling but that won't make any difference without fixing the script (if the Swedish iBooks page throws the same monkeywrench) as Duffjay implies. I didn't have many to do so I moved on by using a Keyboard Maestro workflow to automate most of the process.

To your questions about the fields...you can definitely use the same recovery email. I'm pretty sure I remember another post saying it can't be blank. The month is the actual word, day and year are numerical.

If you intend to actually use the rescue email, it's unfortunate that the verification email doesn't tell you which ID it applies to.

Pomeroy's picture

Pomeroy

new to script and kind of lost..

Hi!
I have just installed 10.7.5 and itunes 11.2.2
I downloaded both apple id constructor and automator.
I saw there is an updated script for itunes 11.2.2. How and where do I post/change the script.
I haven't found any instructions on how to du the automation and right now just testing different settings.
Is there a post on settings and steps I would greatly appreciate it! I want to make some 250 accounts using this application Wink
Also, I live in Sweden.
Best regards
-Pomeroy

splatzgame's picture

splatzgame

need help

Your rating: None (1 vote)

hi guys
my script just doesn't work. it was working before and now doest work. my important questions is

1. can anyone help with making the script work again.

it freezes on this

get value of static text 1 of scroll area 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes"
--> error number -1719 from static text 1 of scroll area 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes"
count every UI element of UI element 1 of scroll area 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 of application process "iTunes"
--> 41

then says

Showing error 1 of 1:

Unable to verify that iTunes is open at the iBooks App Store Page.

2. important - my question is how do i get my app downloaded over 1,000 a day from different app id.

i know apple is very strict on this, but do i need a script which opens iTunes, visits my app, logins into app id and then changes IP Address for this to work? please help

splatzgame's picture

splatzgame

contact

hi brandon,

do you have an email address i can contact you on? i need a script created and would like to find out if you are willing to do it for a fee please

thhanks

steven

duffjay's picture

duffjay

Sorry - I didn't read this until now.

azeezweeks wrote:

duffjay ... I'm an AppleScript Nub ... if you would please let us all know what line you commented out. I have a couple hundred Apple IDs I have to create this weekend. We are shipping our first 458 iPads on Monday and three's not enough beer and pizza in the world to have me stuck doing it manually.

I would be forever grateful if you share with us what you commented out so I could get the script running this weekend.

Thanks a million.

Sorry - I am still waiting for it to finish. It gets through about 200 IDs then stops, and I have to modify the CSV, to get rid of the IDs that succeeded, then start the script again. I am at 1,075 of 1,400. It's not a perfect script, by any stretch - but I believe that's iTunes' fault more than the script. Regardless - it still beats doing this all by hand!

--edit:
The script crashed again (at number 1,130) so I looked for my edit. In the on installIbooks() module, I commented out the if pageVerification is "verified" then line, as well as the end if at the end of the module. I'm pretty sure that's where I did it. Maybe that's why the script keeps crashing too, but it was totally dead until I did that.

Kna127's picture

Kna127

Tried commenting out those two lines.

I will admit I know almost nothing of apple script but I was able to find the lines you mentioned and comment them out. The script still does the same thing for me. It loads up the ibook page and acts like it can not find the free button so it can click on it. Manually correcting it, clicking on the free button, then telling the script to continue gets it going through the rest of the account creation but that has to be done for every single account in the CVS.

duffjay's picture

duffjay

Automated doesn't always mean fast.

Kna127 wrote:

I will admit I know almost nothing of apple script but I was able to find the lines you mentioned and comment them out. The script still does the same thing for me. It loads up the ibook page and acts like it can not find the free button so it can click on it. Manually correcting it, clicking on the free button, then telling the script to continue gets it going through the rest of the account creation but that has to be done for every single account in the CVS.

How long do you wait before clicking? There is a 30 second delay (to allow the iTunes Store to connect) before it goes forward with creating the account.

HTH!

Kna127's picture

Kna127

Waiting until the script errors

duffjay wrote:
Kna127 wrote:

How long do you wait before clicking? There is a 30 second delay (to allow the iTunes Store to connect) before it goes forward with creating the account.

HTH!

It takes it a good 60 seconds or so for the script to give up looking for it and throw up an error. You have to wait for the script to error out before clicking on manually correct and then clicking on the free button.

duffjay's picture

duffjay

Sorry - different issue?

Kna127 wrote:
duffjay wrote:
Kna127 wrote:

HTH!

It takes it a good 60 seconds or so for the script to give up looking for it and throw up an error. You have to wait for the script to error out before clicking on manually correct and then clicking on the free button.

Hmmm - maybe you are running into a different issue then. Mine is good to go, other than punting after a few hundred IDs.

Kna127's picture

Kna127

Disregard That

Your rating: None (1 vote)
duffjay wrote:
Kna127 wrote:
duffjay wrote:
Kna127 wrote:

HTH!

Hmmm - maybe you are running into a different issue then. Mine is good to go, other than punting after a few hundred IDs.

Disregard, I am dumb. I commented out the wrong end if statement and it appears to be working now. Thanks a ton for your help. I run the creation process in batches less than 100 so this should work great until an actual updated version of the script is released.

jerrybutler's picture

jerrybutler

Clarification

I'm unable to comment out the line I think is proper and get the script to run past finding the iBooks app. Could you post the text of the line verbatim perhaps? I'm guessing Apple changed the content of the iTunes page enough to break things. Hope someone can figure this out and get it working, the script saves hours of tedium. I'll keep hacking.

azeezweeks's picture

azeezweeks

Thanks DuffJay

duffjay wrote:
azeezweeks wrote:

Thanks a million.

Sorry - I am still waiting for it to finish. It gets through about 200 IDs then stops, and I have to modify the CSV, to get rid of the IDs that succeeded, then start the script again. I am at 1,075 of 1,400. It's not a perfect script, by any stretch - but I believe that's iTunes' fault more than the script. Regardless - it still beats doing this all by hand!

--edit:
The script crashed again (at number 1,130) so I looked for my edit. In the on installIbooks() module, I commented out the if pageVerification is "verified" then line, as well as the end if at the end of the module. I'm pretty sure that's where I did it. Maybe that's why the script keeps crashing too, but it was totally dead until I did that.

Perfect. We have a few hundred more to do next week. I will try this and update the post next week.

duffjay's picture

duffjay

Lines to comment out

In the installIbooks routine:

Comment out the following 4 lines:

1. if pageVerification is "verified" then --Actually click the button to obtain iBooks

2. else --Throw error if page didn't verify

3. set errorList to errorList & "Unable to verify that iTunes is open at the iBooks App Store Page."

4. end if

This script ran, but crashed a LOT. During my 1400-line CSV file, it crashed at least a dozen times. But it still beat doing all those IDs by hand! So thanks all for the great script!

Now, I just need to figure out how to get something like this to log into each of the new email addresses in GMail, and click the Verify links!

jerrybutler's picture

jerrybutler

success

Thanks for posting the proper lines. It ran for me last night, failed out at some point, but thats always been the case. Now, if Apple would just get real and generate institutional Apple IDs for us from a CSV, then we'd have something. They are still in denial somewhere in the corporate culture. Making us play games like this script, and looking the other way instead of giving us decent tools..