Upgrading iOS devices enmasse...

TechTimm's picture

TechTimm

Your rating: None (2 votes)

All, I have an oddity that hopefully someone has some ideas.

My infrastructure does not support traditional IP structures.
When we set up Apple Server to do Caching it instantly disables and errors out that we are using a public network. Which we are not, we just (as I said) don't use the traditional 10.*.* approach.

We need to upgrade multiple devices in multiple locations and don't / can't tie up the bandwidth needed to do them all over the air.
Here is an example:
One location may have 300 iPads.
iOS 8 is going to come in ~1.7 gb.
You don't have to be a network genius to see that 510gb of data, is going to drop traffic to a crawl!
Especially when other traffic gets the majority of the bandwidth and these device scavenge for what they get.

Has anyone tackled this, if so... please elaborate.
Are there other offerings Casper or SCCM come to mind in my quandry.

Any and all assistance is a boon at this point,
Thanks!

lkrms's picture

lkrms

What proxy are you

Your rating: None

What proxy are you using?

We're on Squid and I figured this out for iOS 7:

http://lkrms.org/caching-ios-updates-on-a-squid-proxy-server/

Hoping the same workaround will be possible with iOS 8!

JMPATLANTA's picture

JMPATLANTA

We are rapidly deploying iOS

Your rating: None (1 vote)

We are rapidly deploying iOS 7.1.2 prior to 8 dropping and deploying the specific model IPSW files of 7.1.2 via SCCM to a specific folder/directory on the local PC's hard drive (iTunes is already installed on target/remote PC's and configured to prompt for IPSW by default when Check for Update button is clicked) during night/off-hours. We have quite a few remote sites and tons of iPad's and this is a very WAN network saving method.

bevo_79's picture

bevo_79

What IP scheme do you use?

What IP scheme do you use?

TechTimm's picture

TechTimm

RE: We are rapidly deploying iOS

Thanks,

But we need to do this wirelessly.
Connecting hundreds of devices is not only logistically difficult but the redistribution would be a nightmare.

This is doable, but not what we are looking for. Plus, this doesn't even need a cashing server in place, Apple Config or iTunes would solve this issue.

Again, Thanks,
TT

TechTimm's picture

TechTimm

RE: What IP scheme do you use?

We use a "public" IP range. Not 192. or 10. which they are looking for.
Apple sees this range and immediately shuts down.

Thanks,
TT

TechTimm's picture

TechTimm

RE: What proxy are you

yeah it opens up a new set of issuesl namely... who's going to manage those squid proxies? what platform are they going to run on?

Thx,
TT

OmegaApex's picture

OmegaApex

Would it be possible to

Would it be possible to create a dhcp server at the locations and a wireless upgrade ssid?

Connect your devices to this temp ssid, which gives it a ip address from dhcp and also put the macbook/server in that same range?

Just a thought

cjackson's picture

cjackson

We update lots of iPads - the

We update lots of iPads - the only way to do this effectively is have a servicing Mac (Mac book Pro would be best) where you can visit (using a hub/sync box/cart) and update iOS.

For the OTA Apps - a caching server will help, but I find even on sites where 10 or 20MB internet connections with a caching server is still slow (but quicker than downloading directly). ... slow because you still get a bottle neck on the WiFi - therefore scheduling 16iPads a day per Access Point is more reasonable on a heavy number of apps deployed.

(Wouldn't it be great if a sync box could plug into ethernet some how! I know Apple have gone Wireless (which is good for a handful of iPads) - but a gadget that plugged a mass number of iPads into the infrastructure would make deployments a breeze!)

Not sure why your caching server shuts down though! ...but when you get it working a caching server at each site will help.

They had some luck here with firewall rewrite rules
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4804580?start=15&tstart=0

As long as the public address for ipads and caching server are the same it will use that cache - but need to get your cache stable first.

Advanced configure
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5590

Christian Jackson
@cjacksonuk