Using icloud.com email addresses as the Apple ID

• strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_field_user_name::init() should be compatible with views_handler_field_user::init(&$view, $data) in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/views/modules/user/views_handler_field_user_name.inc on line 61.
pam.jackson's picture

pam.jackson

Your rating: None (1 vote)

Hi There

One further question. We currently are creating an icloud email address to use as the Apple ID and this is part of our method of account control. From what I have read, this script will not create the email account itself and so this will be a problem if we are to continue to create the accounts using icloud.com email addresses. Can you suggest any way we can get around this?

Many thanks
Pam

Eight_Quarter_Bit's picture

Eight_Quarter_Bit

iCloud emails

Your rating: None

Sadly, no. ITunes doesn't currently handle the setup of iCloud addresses, and the one panel on the system that does (under system preferences) locks out after ten or so account creations from a single serial number (so, even if you reload the machine or use a VM you have a limited number of accounts you can create before the panel ceases to function.) It could, theoretically, be automated by scripting the web page where you can set up iCloud accounts, but that means trying to automate a CAPTCHA solve, which is flaky and cumbersome.

Another problem is if you create accounts outside of iTunes or the App Store you can't create them with the "none" payment option, and the only place to create accounts with a fresh iCloud email account is outside the App Store and iTunes. So, it's an either/or sort of proposition. You can either create accounts without payment information and then later go through an awkward changeover of that account to an iCloud email address, or start off with creating the account with an iCloud email address (which currently can't be easily automated) but then you have to provide payment information before it can be used in the App Store.

I, too, have considered building accounts tied to iCloud email addresses, but it's just too cumbersome at the moment. It also comes with the ugly problem of sharing the same password with the Apple ID, so if you forget your Apple ID password and can't answer the security questions that ID and all the apps tied to it are inaccessible unless you call Apple and walk through restoring access to your account -a time-consuming process.

Johan Gunverth's picture

Johan Gunverth

Actually, it's working well

Actually, it's working well through the iCloud prefpane. You need to whitelist your external IP address, not the domain for the IDs (icloud.com...try that).
Last week I created several hundreds of AppleIDs this way. All of them works.

coronado's picture

coronado

Hmmm, strange. Tested this

Hmmm, strange.

Tested this just now (in Finland), and I got a message that the device cannot create any more than three accounts (iCloud accounts from the System Preferences). Changed the external IP address, but the same message.

So, it seems like the creation process reacts on the device used, and not the IP-address.

caihl's picture

caihl

Can you explain how to create

Johan Gunverth, Can you explain how to create AppleIDs this way, can this be done by script? Thanks!

splatzgame's picture

splatzgame

Sell script

Hi Johan will you be willing to sell your script to me? Oh my email is splatzgame@gmail.com
Message me if you have a working script that can create ids without doing that whitelist option thing.