VPP's Managed Distribution your experience?

danny33c's picture

danny33c

No votes yet

If your MDM is able to use Managed Distribution instead of code redemption I'd like to know what your experience has been like. We are using Casper MDM and as of March 12, 2014 it has not been implemented.

I read the early posts from November from the AirWatch users, is that going any better?

martyn's picture

martyn

Hi, I have been using Meraki

Your rating: None

Hi,

I have been using Meraki MDM and it's all working great. You have to go through the process in the right order but for supervised devices (as long as they are all signed in with one Apple ID) app installation is silent.
On unsupervised devices (again as long as the apple IDs are signed in) app installation only requires the end under accepting. If you have a caching server too - the process is quick
Hope that helps.
Martyn.

danny33c's picture

danny33c

Thanks for the info Martyn.

Thanks for the info Martyn. So you are using the institutional model, all users using the same AppleID. In the fall we will have a mix K-2 will use institutional and 3-12 using personal. I just setup a caching server and it seems to be helping already. Again, thanks for sharing your experience!

Eric B's picture

Eric B

Profile Manager

So I haven't done too much but we did run through some testing to see what we can do.
We're using profile manager integrated with our Active Directory and a catching server. Buying the apps through VPP isn't hard once you have it setup. The big difference for profile manager is each sever can only use one token.
To 'distribute' the apps to the users I was able to send them an email to their AD email address through PM. This had them enroll their personal apple ID's to revive applications. From there I can assign them apps directly to their user. To redeem the app the user has to look in their purchased section. Same for iBooks purchased. Revoking the app also worked well and gave the 30 days notice before it would be deactivated.
I did one test on pushing an app to the user, I believe it went through but I would have to run it again to be sure.

For iPad carts were still using the code redemption. For the more personal deployed were are moving forward with managed distribution. There hasn't been a huge calling for apps yet.

natevandam's picture

natevandam

Apple IDs

We have shared carts in our K-7 buildings and have started to do managed distribution of apps. Right now we are setting the carts up with an Apple ID on an as needed basis. So a cart of 30 iPads sharing the same Apple ID. What does your workflow look like when you setup the iPads to work with the same Apple ID? Right now I enroll the iPads in our MDM, log into iTunes/App Store on each iPad, then invite those iPads to the VPP, then accept the invite on each iPad. There must be a quicker and easier way. If you, or anyone, has some helpful thoughts I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

danny33c's picture

danny33c

RE: Apple IDs

natevandam - In K-2 classrooms we are using carts in the classrooms as the kids do not take them home. We are using the same AppleID for all of these in the institutional model. We started configuring them as you did, with our MDM and would have to login to each one and download each app individually on every iPad. It was a very time consuming process. For 30 iPads and 30 apps it took forever for us to configure them. We then decided to scrap installing the apps via our MDM and use Apple Configurator instead. All apps can be installed at once and then Automatic Updates can be turned on so there is not even a need to put them back into carts to get the updates. The only time we have to configure these iPads is to install a new apps and they still don't have to leave the cart.

With that said: My belief is that Apple will start letting MDMs have more control and Apple Configurator will go away within the next two years.

mattinmotion's picture

mattinmotion

I want to stop you from making the same mistake we did. While your process technically works, it is not supported by Apple, and it could break at any time. The only supported shared device app distribution method is with Configurator. Even though you're accepting the VPP terms on each iPad, you're using the same license on each device because they all share the same Apple ID. If you have 100 devices sharing the same Apple ID and purchased 100 copies of an app using VPP managed distribution, you'd still only be using one of those licenses. The reason that it technically works is because of Apple's fair use condition. Fair use allows you to purchase an app and use it on up to 5 personal devices. Since you would be using that same app license on 100 devices there is nothing stopping Apple from banning your Apple ID for breaking their terms of use. Is that unlikely? Maybe, but why risk losing everything?

The only legal option for a shared device is to purchase the apps from VPP as redemption codes, import the redemption codes into Configurator, and assign the apps to the devices with Configurator.

One last thing worth mentioning. Apple has a process to convert your unused redemption codes into managed distribution licenses. This is a ONE WAY conversion process! Once they have been converted into managed distribution licenses there is no converting them back to redemption codes! Trust me, we learned the hard way.

mwmatter's picture

mwmatter

Do you know where I can find

Do you know where I can find any documentation on this conversion process. Or where I need to go to convert my redemption codes to licenses?

danny33c's picture

danny33c

Someone else may be able to

Someone else may be able to speak to this better as we have not started the process yet. I believe you have to work directly with Apple VPP. I don't think there is a white paper or published process for it. Every institution is going to be different. Anyone have first hand experience? I am curious also as it is impending on us soon.

martyn's picture

martyn

To convert code based

To convert code based licences into managed distribution licences you need to request it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6015

Fill in the support request form for your country and wait.

Good luck.

mwmatter's picture

mwmatter

Found

Found this

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6015

natevandam's picture

natevandam

danny33c,

I would love to just use Configurator for all of our carts (800 iPads) and our MDM for our 1:1 iPads (1,400). The problem is Apple told us we had to convert all of our VPP codes to the managed distribution model. Now all of our spreadsheets our worthless. Free apps would still be easy to do, but paid apps not so much. And I doubt our district wants to purchase Keynote, Pages, and iMovie for 800 iPads again. I hate that the Apple Apps are all "free" now, but they aren't really free.

ericbenfer's picture

ericbenfer

JAMF Casper 9.3 was just

JAMF Casper 9.3 was just released. It now supports VPP managed distribution and DEP.
http://resources.jamfsoftware.com/documents/products/documentation/Casper-Suite-9.3-Release-Notes.pdf

tboyko's picture

tboyko

@natevandam- One detail that

@natevandam- One detail that may not be readily clear is that you can have both redemption codes and VPP managed app licenses at the same time. If you already purchased a number of codes and assigned them to iTunes users, those iTunes users will retain those apps forever. You can easily layer managed app licenses on top. No need to repurchase the same apps for the same devices.

If you're interested in trying out the VPP program with a supported MDM, I recommend our product, Unwired DeviceLink. We have both a free and Pro program We offer a 30-day free trial of Pro, which includes VPP support. You can have an account up and running in 5 minutes without the need for a credit card or phone call from us.

Happy Hunting!

simplemdm.com
Intuitive, Powerful Device & App Management

danny33c's picture

danny33c

Testing Casper went well

I just setup our Casper server for managed apps and it worked great!

No issues!

So far... knock on wood.

duffjay's picture

duffjay

10 Device limit?

martyn wrote:

Hi,

I have been using Meraki MDM and it's all working great. You have to go through the process in the right order but for supervised devices (as long as they are all signed in with one Apple ID) app installation is silent.
On unsupervised devices (again as long as the apple IDs are signed in) app installation only requires the end under accepting. If you have a caching server too - the process is quick
Hope that helps.
Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

Have you run into the 10-device-per-AppleID limit?

Thanks!

martyn's picture

martyn

Hi, What 10 device limit is

Hi,

What 10 device limit is that?

Judging by my answer - No I haven't Smile

The only way to do this in a Primary School where all devices are supervised and you want a minimal & hands off experience is to sign them all in with one apple ID.
As long as you have the required number of licences in your VPP account no one can say anything about you not being correctly licenced, it just so happens that you have only redeemed one licence to one apple ID.

The method of delivery of the apps to the device in my opinion is irrelevant, I'm gonna use the simplest method.

Cheers

Martyn.

duffjay's picture

duffjay

AppleID 10 Device Limit

martyn wrote:

Hi,

What 10 device limit is that?

Judging by my answer - No I haven't Smile

The only way to do this in a Primary School where all devices are supervised and you want a minimal & hands off experience is to sign them all in with one apple ID.
As long as you have the required number of licences in your VPP account no one can say anything about you not being correctly licenced, it just so happens that you have only redeemed one licence to one apple ID.

The method of delivery of the apps to the device in my opinion is irrelevant, I'm gonna use the simplest method.

Cheers

Martyn.

There is a limit of 10 devices to which you may associate a given AppleID. It takes 90 days to un-associate one. Configurator gets around this limit because... Well - because it's Apple. But everything else is supposedly subject to this limit:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/08/10/apple-id-limited-10-devices/
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4627

That being said - when does one actually get hit by this limit? That much seems unclear. But Apple had a seminar about using iOS 7 in education last month, and they said that MDMs are subject to this limit.