What apps do you blacklist?

alacava's picture

alacava

No votes yet

We are currently setting up our MDM and I would like to know of any apps that you blacklist for security reasons. We are a college so we are very open about most apps, but I would like to know if there are any that should be blocked out right.

lprmcnit's picture

lprmcnit

App Blacklists

Your rating: None

Will most of your devices be BYOD, or owned by the college? BYOD device owners will resist app restrictions. Will they primarily be iOS devices, or will 'Droid's be involved? The argument can be made that blacklisting is less important on iOS devices than 'Droid devices since the iOS App store is curated. I think you also need to consider how the blacklist will be maintained. The set of available apps is huge and constantly changing. .

alacava's picture

alacava

Most will be owned by the

Your rating: None

Most will be owned by the college and most will be iOS.

I plan to review apps some how, right now I can do that via an SQL query. But I've already found a questionable app for iOS, basically a web proxy on a staff device owned by the college. Need to check with the CSO to see if this is a problem or now.