Why doesn't Supervision stop an iPad from connecting to another Mac?

Joe Janiga's picture

Joe Janiga

Your rating: None (2 votes)

Based on research and experience I thought once an iPad was Supervised it could not be connected to another computer. If done it would say something like "this device is supervised by another computer".

That said there is also the check box in "Prepare" when setting up Supervision to allow it sync to other computers. My understanding on this is that that is only for images and videos and Image Capture will pull that in. That function is working fine .

Now here is the rub, when I connect a Supervised device (and it shows that it is Supervised by....) under General> About it asks me if I'd like to Set up a new iPad or Restore. Again, no "this device is supervised" message. If I Set up as new then it basically syncs the iPad with the non AC hosting machine. I can then transfer files from within apps, add music etc... That is NOT how I understand a Supervised iPad to work.

When I choose restore from back up and apply my personal iPad back up, sure enough I can do that to.

What am I missing, or what has changed. Supervised besides being a dynamic app deployment and profile creation tool should as I said earlier also prevent someone from doing what I stated I did. My last test will be to uncheck that box in "Prepare" tab but curious if anyone has any thoughts on this?

Jet

Jakey's picture

Jakey

If you want to leave the

Your rating: None (1 vote)

If you want to leave the "allow the device to connect to other macs" button checked, but still block pairing (syncing with iTunes, restoring from backup) then you also need to deploy a restriction profile with "Allow this device to pair with...." Unchecked.

alternatively unchecking the allow the device to connect to other macs will result in pairing to be blocked regardless of the restriction in place. This is a global setting, where as the restriction profile is controllable via MDM.

If you only ever want the configuration mac to be able to talk to your devices with no exceptions, go with the option on the prepare box. If you ever may change your mind or have mdm, go with the other one.