can a sideloaded app with apple configurator be independantly updated by another apple id?

dvincent's picture

dvincent

No votes yet

i have a question about the nature of app updates on iOS7 that are sideloaded using the apple configurator. Is there any technical reason why apps sideloaded on an iOS 7 device cannot be later updated with another signed in apple id?

i looking into sideloading the MobileIron MDM client using the apple configurator, but only if the mobileiron mdm client can be updated from the apple app store using the owner's own personal apple id?

Does anyone have any experience with sideloading MDM client ipa files using the apple configurator?

Regards,

Dave

Jonmilleruk's picture

Jonmilleruk

I wanted to adopt same

Your rating: None

I wanted to adopt same approach using AirWatch but it doesn't work - agent app seems to need to be updated by the primary Apple ID.

My approach was to use AirWatch's staged enrolment process and Apple Configurator and then push the agent down as a required app once device is staged to complete the process. This works really neatly. Don't know whether Mobile Iron does anything similar?

Xalio's picture

Xalio

You will need the in-house

You will need the in-house version of the MI Client. -> no Apple ID required.

By the way another possibility could be to enroll with Apple Configurator (export MDM Profile) and push as managed app the client. This one is automatically configured. (Works for Airwatch and MobileIron).

)

@nicolasraison
fr.linkedin.com/pub/nicolas-raison/45/431/522/
dvincent's picture

dvincent

thanks for the heads up on

thanks for the heads up on the mobileiron inhouse client. somehow mobileiron support failed to mention that this existed.. strange how that happens Wink

we were planning to sideload the mobileiron ipa file using apple configurator but were not clear on how the exported mdm profile would play into the mix. also how do we "push" the mobileiron client as a managed app (within the mobileiron admin portal) without having it first installed? if by managed you mean sideloaded with apple configurator, then how does the exported mdm profile play into the apple id agnostic update process.

something tells me i need to have a little talk with mobileiron Smile

Thanks again for your comments.. definitely appreciated!!!

Regards,

Dave

Xalio's picture

Xalio

When I talk about pushing the

When I talk about pushing the MI Client as "managed app" is to install it from the VSP upon enrollment.

If you go to Policies & Configs > Configuration > System - iOS MDM > Export MDM Profile, then you can import the MDM Profile into Apple Configurator and automatically enroll the devices.

By the way, in this mode you need to pre-assocociate the device serial numbers to the users in bulk.

After the enrollment the device you can install the MI Client and it's automatically configured.

Regards,

Nicolas

@nicolasraison
tsabicheck's picture

tsabicheck

Only one small problem I had with this..

Yes, setting up MDM client in the MDM application store and set as a mandatory managed app in order to push down to the device when MDM communication is established seems to be the most reasonable way of keeping the automatic app update.
However I had issues when the MDM profile was provisioned by Apple Configurator and the device was handed over to the user. Since right after a valid WiFi AP is configured on the device, MDM becomes active. Download the policies and as a part of the policy set, it receives the command of installing the MDM client from Appstore. This is fine, if the user is already logged into iTunes, so he is over the iTunes account setup screen in the Welcome Setup Wizard. But if there is a delay between the WiFi setup screen and the iTunes account setup and the install command is received before a valid iTunes & App Store login, all the managed app installation will be failed.
In normal situation, when the you got to the homescreen, a popup window will ask you to login to iTunes & App Store at any new managed application install request, so you can login (if needed) as a part of the app installation. But this popup is not available during the Welcome Setup Wizard process, thus the app install is going to be rejected (See console log for details).
MDM servers I met with can not handle this situation and they do not try to send the install command again, rather displaying a 'install pending' status. Of course, they support to re-initiate the installation manually, but that's not the expected, automated way of installing a managed application.

I really hope it's going to be fixed in the future either on MDM server side, or Apple side (just don't let them pointing on each other Smile ).

Xalio's picture

Xalio

Assign all iTunes store apps

Assign all iTunes store apps to a specific label that can be triggered manually (or automatically with a delay via Assemble) and I think you can solve your issue.

Regards,
Nicolas

@nicolasraison