iTunes stops creating accounts after 6 or 7 successful loops

aaronkerr's picture

aaronkerr

No votes yet

I started working with the Batch Apple ID Creator this week. I created a process, made a couple tweaks, and got a process that runs smoothly. I am using iTunes 11 and Mac OS 10.8.

However, I'm experiencing an issue where iTunes seems to simply stop creating accounts. It doesn't appear to be any problem with the batch process itself. I started a batch of 100 this morning. The first 6 completed successfully and I got email messages to activate the accounts. But then, I start getting an error in iTunes at the end of the creation process when "Create Apple ID" is actually clicked.

Rather than going on to the screen that says the account was created, it just reloads the payment form, now with a small red box that tells me to visit an iTunes support page on Apple's site. I am creating accounts without credit cards. There is no detail to the error. The script then just goes on to the next user, not realizing anything didn't work correctly.

Is Apple doing something on the server side now to monitor account creation and limit the number of IDs that can be created from a machine?

Thanks for any insight.

aaronkerr's picture

aaronkerr

Additional details

Your rating: None

I didn't hear back from anyone on this, but I've done some more research and wanted to share additional details.

I've found Apple is enforcing a hard limit of 7 Apple IDs from a machine. I've created multiple virtual machines running Mac OS 10.7 and Mac OS 10.8. I tried iTunes 11.0.5 and 11.1.3. My results are consistent. Each "new" machine will generate 7 IDs, and then additional attempts will fail.

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Batch creation tool. Whether I try to create additional accounts with the tool or manually, the result is the same. This seems to be a policy Apple is enforcing from their side. I don't know how new this policy is as I haven't dealt with batch creation before.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Does anyone have machines that are still able to create larger batches?

I found an article that seems to detail some further specifics about this limitation (see item 2).

https://forgetcomputers.zendesk.com/entries/21048046-Best-Practices-for-Creating-Apple-IDs

The author mentions contacting Apple to have the restriction temporarily lifted for your machine or IP. I'm looking in to this but haven't confirmed it is possible. Any insight would be great if other users have had success with this.

ChrisTx's picture

ChrisTx

Batch Apple ID Creation

Yes you will need to contact Apple and put in a request to whitelist your company/IP address (not sure exactly how they do it) to allow you to create multiple Apple IDs. I believe Apple does this to prevent batches of fake Apple IDs from being created. My organization made a request to an Apple Engineer and was sent a form that we needed to complete to request us to create multiple Apple IDs. Once approved they gave me a month to create the amount of Apple ID's I needed.

aaronkerr's picture

aaronkerr

Good Information

Thanks Chris. It's good to get confirmation on this. My company doesn't have an Apple rep or engineer, so I'm working on getting a contact there.

I think the Batch Apple ID creator works great given the lack of an official tool from Apple, but it struck me as very strange the tool's documentation didn't mention this limit from Apple. This seems like it should be one of the first things mentioned in the documentation so users would understand the limitations and requirements for using the tool.

Thanks again for your help.

Eight_Quarter_Bit's picture

Eight_Quarter_Bit

My apologies

My apologies on the slow reply to this. Please do post back if the script works properly after getting whitelisted by Apple.

I recently had to run a batch of new IDs through the automation, and despite the fact I was supposedly whitelisted I still hit this issue. I am uncertain if someone on Apple's end simply dropped the ball in my case, or if there is a new form of anti-automation in place that isn't being lifted through the traditional "whitelisting" process we request through our Apple engineers.

aaronkerr's picture

aaronkerr

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info. Our company hasn't had an Apple engineer we've worked with, so I'm in the process of getting that connection setup. I'll report back on my success once things are in place.

bahador's picture

bahador

helpppppp *****************

i did same and the result is same ...
if you change computer name you can make two account else. so its take a time .. and its not possible..
you can make several account with changing area code ... i mean apple cant detect it and it will make the account. but after creating some account your request will be fail.
how ever.. i exactly don't know what should i do//
did you find a way for making apple id ?

m.miralto's picture

m.miralto

help needed

Hi, i basically landed on this forum because i work with an organization where we are deploying hundreds of iPad every month and we are stuck with this problem.
We are based in italy and we are looking to get a contact with someone in Apple that would whitelist our organization when creating apple ids.
Do you have any hint or suggestion to get such a contact with one of their internals? It seems that their local support team is not helping on this task.

aaronkerr's picture

aaronkerr

Others might disagree, but my

Others might disagree, but my advice would be to give up on this method of Apple ID batch creation. We worked with Apple and got our organization whitelisted to batch create. But even with that restriction removed, the process still failed around 30% of the time in a given batch. So I'd end up with some account created and others failed. And you still have to manually confirm the email address for each account. We no longer batch create IDs. I know a lot of effort has gone into making it work, but it's essentially a hack that can't be relied on due to Apple's policies.