WWDC: What's New in Managing Apple Devices? Quite a lot!
Apple has posted all the WWDC session videos online, and there a lot in there. The Tuesday morning session on "What's New in Managing Apple Devices" contains especially important new announcements for the community of iOS administrators. There's a lot of great changes coming to iOS 9 and OS X "El Capitan."
In the spirit of the new, more open, WWDC Non-NDA, I'm linking to the full video and offering a short summary of the topics covered. It's really good to keep in mind that beta software is not production software, and may change before release.
In my opinion there were three big announcements. They are....drumroll:
- Devices can receive apps WITHOUT an Apple ID
- Apple is making supervision MUCH more important. Supervise your devices NOW.
- A whole new Configurator 2
If your job depends on managing Apple devices, I encourage you to watch the entire hour session.
Presenter: Todd Fernandez, Senior Manager, Device Management
Apple's Device Enrollment Program: A request to pronounce it by its letters "D.E.P." and not as a word "dep." DEP is now available in 26 countries
Enrollment optimization: New key in MDM to wait until device is fully configured. MDM commands now wait until..Apple ID, etc.
Automated Enrollment: enroll in MDM without screen taps. How does it work?
- Set up DEP
- Connect to Apple Configurator
- Configurator completes setup
- Focus on VPP Managed Distribution. 3 big changes
- VPP now in 26 countries
- Multinational app assignment: Purchase VPP apps in any country, distribute to any country where app is sold
Assign VPP distribution apps to devices (#1 Big announcement of the day)
- No invitation process
- No Apple ID required on device
- Does not appear in users purchase history
- Installation and updates controlled by MDM server
- Need to buy app for each device
- Can be revoked and re-assiigned
- "Smooth migration" from user assignment: app and data stays in place
NOTE: Requires Opt In from App developer on iTunes Connect. Best for apps to store app data in cloud.
Now also caches iCloud data, documents, CloudKit data, Photo Library, on-demand app resources
- Can convert apps from unmanaged to managed without losing user data
- Can install via MDM or Configurator while app store is disabled. (This is a biggie!)
New explicit user trust flow for apps, prevent user from trusting apps, Apps installed via MDM do not require explicit trust (finally)
New MDM Commands
- Available software updates
- Update to latest iOS (DEP supervised devices only)
- Network usage rules
- Restrict:Screen recording, trust new enterprise app authors, treat airdrop as unmanaged, automatic app downloads, iCloud photo library, keyboad shortcuts, modify device name, passcode, wallpaper, news, pair with Apple Watch
Deprecating MANY profile restrictions: these will require supervision in the future. (#2 Big announcement of the day)
- Restrict App Installation
- Restrict App Removal
- Restrict FaceTime
- Restrict Safari
- Restrict iTunes
- Restrict Explicit Content
- Restrict iCloud documents and data
- Restrict Multiplayer Gaming
- Restrict Add GameCenter Friends
Configurator 2 (#3 Big announcement of the day)
- “We’ve received a lot of feedback"
- Completed reinvented. "Apple Configurator 2” — New blue logo
- Devices front and center
- discrete tasks
- easy automation
- multiple stations
- companion to DEP and MDM
- Command line tool, scripting library, automator.
More information about automating workflows with Configurator is available in Session 306.
Mobile Management Provider changed by taylor 5 days ago
Forum topic added by taylor 3 weeks ago
Story added by Aaron Freimark 4 weeks ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by FrankGraziani 6 weeks ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by rachana 7 weeks ago
Forum topic added by taylor 7 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by Elizabeth Hale 14 weeks ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by Simo Kari 15 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by jpref 15 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by bugfrisch 17 weeks ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by krypted 17 weeks ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by JAMFSoftware 17 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by spurtipreetham 17 weeks ago
Forum topic added by okta 17 weeks ago
Forum topic added by am.imran.ahmed 17 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by Samuelbrown 18 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by Elizabeth Hale 19 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by taylor 19 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by bhaveshagrawal1014 19 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by Sabi 19 weeks ago