I have a DEP profile manually installed on my device attempting to enroll in AirWatch. I am testing my DEP, that is why I have it manually installed before pushing to all devices. I am getting a "profile installation failed invalid profile" when enrolling my device. Has anyone experience this and what was the resolution? I have a case open with AirWatch. Just wanted to see who else is/have experienced this. Thanks!
We regularly receive questions from our customers asking if it's possible to add the Apple devices they already own to their DEP account. We had a chance to speak with Apple Business Services recently to understand the specific situations where this is possible and want to share it with anyone who it might be of use to:
I just set up DEP for my company. I discovered that the Ipads were not purchased from Apple or vendor that can enroll the purchased ipads into DEP.
I also have a Ipad's coming in from another vendor that will be enrolling the ipads we purchased from them into DEP.
1. What is the process to get the older ipads into DEP? Apple Enterprise basically told me i was SOL and my vendor could not help me.
2. What issues will I have if a portion of my fleet is not in DEP? I will still have both sets of Ipads into Airwatch cloud for my MDM.
Apple has posted all the WWDC session videos online, and there a lot in there. The Tuesday morning session on "What's New in Managing Apple Devices" contains especially important new announcements for the community of iOS administrators. There's a lot of great changes coming to iOS 9 and OS X "El Capitan."
In the spirit of the new, more open, WWDC Non-NDA, I'm linking to the full video and offering a short summary of the topics covered. It's really good to keep in mind that beta software is not production software, and may change before release.
In my opinion there were three big announcements. They are....drumroll:
- Devices can receive apps WITHOUT an Apple ID
- Apple is making supervision MUCH more important. Supervise your devices NOW.
- A whole new Configurator 2
If your job depends on managing Apple devices, I encourage you to watch the entire hour session.
Presenter: Todd Fernandez, Senior Manager, Device Management
Apple's Device Enrollment Program: A request to pronounce it by its letters "D.E.P." and not as a word "dep." DEP is now available in 26 countries
Enrollment optimization: New key in MDM to wait until device is fully configured. MDM commands now wait until..Apple ID, etc.
Automated Enrollment: enroll in MDM without screen taps. How does it work?
- Set up DEP
- Connect to Apple Configurator
- Configurator completes setup
- Focus on VPP Managed Distribution. 3 big changes
- VPP now in 26 countries
- Multinational app assignment: Purchase VPP apps in any country, distribute to any country where app is sold
Assign VPP distribution apps to devices (#1 Big announcement of the day)
- No invitation process
- No Apple ID required on device
- Does not appear in users purchase history
- Installation and updates controlled by MDM server
- Need to buy app for each device
- Can be revoked and re-assiigned
- "Smooth migration" from user assignment: app and data stays in place
NOTE: Requires Opt In from App developer on iTunes Connect. Best for apps to store app data in cloud.
Now also caches iCloud data, documents, CloudKit data, Photo Library, on-demand app resources
- Can convert apps from unmanaged to managed without losing user data
- Can install via MDM or Configurator while app store is disabled. (This is a biggie!)
New explicit user trust flow for apps, prevent user from trusting apps, Apps installed via MDM do not require explicit trust (finally)
New MDM Commands
- Available software updates
- Update to latest iOS (DEP supervised devices only)
- Network usage rules
- Restrict:Screen recording, trust new enterprise app authors, treat airdrop as unmanaged, automatic app downloads, iCloud photo library, keyboad shortcuts, modify device name, passcode, wallpaper, news, pair with Apple Watch
Deprecating MANY profile restrictions: these will require supervision in the future. (#2 Big announcement of the day)
- Restrict App Installation
- Restrict App Removal
- Restrict FaceTime
- Restrict Safari
- Restrict iTunes
- Restrict Explicit Content
- Restrict iCloud documents and data
- Restrict Multiplayer Gaming
- Restrict Add GameCenter Friends
Configurator 2 (#3 Big announcement of the day)
- “We’ve received a lot of feedback"
- Completed reinvented. "Apple Configurator 2” — New blue logo
- Devices front and center
- discrete tasks
- easy automation
- multiple stations
- companion to DEP and MDM
- Command line tool, scripting library, automator.
More information about automating workflows with Configurator is available in Session 306.
Bushel, an Apple device management solution, powered by JAMF Software, today announced general availability, expanding Apple device management to businesses of all sizes. Bushel is a cloud-based solution designed to make it simple and quick for regular people to complete their management tasks, including Apple device setup, security and usability. The software had been in beta for some time now, and users could use it on an invitation-only basis. Bushel has just today become generally available to the public to sign up for either a free or paid account. You can find out more and sign up on the Bushel website.
Is anyone here using the new Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP) for iPhones? I can see it being used for iPads since you can normally buy these direct from Apple however iPhones are a bit more challenging because I would think most enterprises buy the phones from their wireless provider. Can anyone please provide any insight they may have regarding DEP and iPhones? Thanks!
Anybody's MDM working in the real world with DEP to deploy units yet? Ours has not released their DEP version as of yet (May 22 2014) nor have I seen a real world demo of this method actually working. Getting a tad nervous as our summer IOS reloading plans and being set soon and yet to see this method actually work and what the ins and outs are of using this loading method on Student IOS devices.
Forum topic added by Mahesh 1 week ago
Story comment by taylor 2 weeks ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by Aaron Freimark 2 weeks ago
Wiki Page changed by Aaron Freimark 2 weeks ago
Story added by Aaron Freimark 2 weeks ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by Aaron Freimark 2 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by Elizabeth Hale 17 weeks ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by Simo Kari 18 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by jpref 19 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by bugfrisch 20 weeks ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by krypted 20 weeks ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by JAMFSoftware 21 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by spurtipreetham 21 weeks ago
Forum topic added by okta 21 weeks ago
Forum topic added by am.imran.ahmed 21 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by Samuelbrown 21 weeks ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by NeerajOR 22 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by Elizabeth Hale 22 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by taylor 22 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by bhaveshagrawal1014 22 weeks ago